Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

seeing my cameras thru my c3700 modem/router and the r6300 router

corvairbob
Tutor

seeing my cameras thru my c3700 modem/router and the r6300 router

ok you helped me with that c7000 modem/router that i found was not compatible with comcast in my area go figure. anyway so once more i tried to get the r6300 router and the c3700 modem to connect together. well for now i managed to get them to connect. now i'm online using the c3700 as the modem and the r6300 as the router. and believe it or not i got 90 mbps with the r6300 online going thru that netgear switch at least for now anyway. so that c7000 was bad for me.

now i have a issue i need to get fixed or i will have to take the r6300 router offline, as i can now not see my cameras. i use a tablet that is wifi connected to the r6300 router for wifi access and the app will not show my cameras. if i connect the tablet to the modem's wifi i can see the cameras but the pourpos of thsi setup is so i can take the extenders of and have wifi out in the yard and better speed for the tablet. the app still want's to use the ip address that ip chicken gives me, that address is for the c3700 modem/router that is connecting me to the internet. i figure that is correct for the internet. but now my cameras are blocked.  also the modem now only sees a few devices and the router see's only 2 devices. so how do i get the router to get thru the modem so i can see my cameras? i tired inputting the routers ip address in the field the app uses for the internet  but the app keeps putting the modem address back. if i can't get this to work i will take the router back offline and see about getting a gigabit switch to see if i get faster speeds. but for now if i can get the tablet to see thru both router and modem it will make my day. i have port forwarded the cameras on both units.  thanks for any help 

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: seeing my cameras thru my c3700 modem/router and the r6300 router

Ok, glad you got it working.

For future reference, please post in this forum for your R series routerL

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the C3700 modem in modem only mode or is it in router mode? 

Message 2 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

i have no clue what do i look for. at this time i took the c6300 back offline as i need to see the cameras. i figure if i get this figured out tomorrow i will connect up the r6300 once again and giv it a try.  on the r6300 i did see a spot for bridging and in the c3700 i did see a spot about the router funtion but the last time i turned off the router mode on that c3700 i lost everything. so omewhere i click on a no no spot and the c3700 just locked me out. i had to do a factory reset to get back.  this is what i see on the c3700 in advance under router.

Router Mode

Apply          

Router Mode  Yes  No    yes is checked

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok this would be a cause of you not being able to see cameras. You have two routers online at the same time. This is not recommended and causes connection problems. 

Set the C3700 modem router mode to NO. 

Then you'll be using the R series router as you main router then you chould be able to connect to the cameras...

Message 4 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok thanks i will do that tomorrow and post the results. i did not want to do that again seems the last time that messed me up. but i may have had other things switched off as well. this time when i connected to the r6300 i turned off all the devices and then connected the modem to the router's yellow port then the router to the pc and the modem of course to the internet. and then turned them all back on and i got the r6300 as the connected device after i went to the routers setup tab and told it to set them up. i guess i figured that would set up everything. so now i know i have to do some stuff myself. thanks for the help and i will do it tomorrow. thanks.

Message 5 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

added question when i turn off the c3700 router mode that will turn off the ssid broadcast correct? if not then will i need to un check those boxes or just leave them alone. thanks

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

When you turn off router mode, it should disable the wifi radios on the C3700 modem. 

Message 7 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i will do that. i getting ready now to set it back up. i will let you know hwo it goes. thanks

Message 8 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i turned off the router mode on the c3700 combo. it took an hour to get back online. i did not get a chance to turn off the ssid broadcast as after i turned of the router mode i can't see that modem now. when i type in the address like before i get nothing but a timed out message.

but i'm now still at the same place my phone see's the r6300 router and my pc see's it. but nothing else see's it. my cameras are all offline again. i changed the ip address in the app, and in fact the app will see the router's ip address but the camera will not show. and yes i did port forward them. although when i'm home before i changed over to the r6300 router i can see the cameras with no port forwarding. i need that for when i'm gone. 

so any more ideas that i can do. in the r6300 setuo under attached devices i get nothing. and because i can't see the c3700 combo now i have no idea how many devices that unit see's   below is the lan setup do i have to make a change here? i do not see the in only and out only or the rip 1 rip 2b or rip 2m 

LAN Setup

Apply                Cancel    

Device Name

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address . . .  IP Subnet Mask . . .  RIP Direction        Both      In Only      Out Only    RIP Version  Disabled RIP_1 RIP_2B RIP_2M   

Use Router as DHCP Server Starting IP Address . . .  Ending IP Address . . . 

this is what i have in qos settings   x   Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings  checkded

x Turn Internet Access QoS On  checked

Turn Bandwidth Control On  not checked

so any help for this needed. thanks

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

When you turn OFF router mode on the modem, this will shut off the DHCP server and wifi on the modem. I believe you should be able to access the modems web page at 192.168.100.1 when it's in modem only mode. 

Try powering OFF the modem and R6300 for 30 seconds. Power back on the modem only and let it sync. Then power ON the R6300 router. It should connect, if not, I would factory rest the R6300 and then walk thru the setup wizard here. This should help you get the router connected to the modem. It should let you know if it was successful in getting connected to the modem. Let us know if it doesn't. Complete the setup wizard if it does. 

Message 10 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i think i got it. turns out with the r6300 router i had to do a refresh on the ip address. this unit gave all my ewuipment new ip address. the c7000 did not do that, go figure. so now i'm resetting all my cameras and redoing the porting what a job this is becoming. but now they tell me i will have one more step for security as well. i don't know about that but if i do then great.  after i goet this all done i will return with a update. never knwo someone else may have this issue. thanks

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, glad you got it working.

For future reference, please post in this forum for your R series routerL

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i got them all going so to recap. i had to turn everything off and first connect the modem to the cable and the router to the modem via the yellow port using a yellow cat cable then the router to the pc then i turned the router the modem and the pc back on. i had to let them all finish booting and then i saw the router on the pc. then to make sure i had wifi i unplugged the pc form the router. it worked. and i had speed on both the wired and wifi connections. i also have to turn off the c3700 combo units router mode. i was told to turn off the ssid but after turning off the router mode i could not get back to do that.

then i connected the network switch to the pc and i got speed a bit slower but faster that with the modem and router combo that was only 40 mbps wired thro the switch

then i had to reset all my cameras and also clicked get the ip address form the router switch on the dvr and nvr to allow them both to get the ip address from the router dynamically.  after i got that i then unchecked the box for static ip.  then i went into the r6300 settings and i then saw my cameras with new ip addresses. great. then i had to them all one at a time, did the porting and in the camera program reset the ip and ports for them and saved all that to the cameras. then in the app for viewing the cameras on the tablet and phone i had to reset the ip, ports and user name and passwords. 

wow lots of work but now with my pc on the r6300 router and thru the network switch i have 90 mbps speed. going thru the c3700 combo i got like 40 mbps.  now that speed did not mean a lot for the internet places i use, but the tablet was sluggish for the wifi now it is a bit faster and i will have to wait for now to see if it really helped. but i have been told just adding the router will give me better security? i have no clue but we will see. now maybe i can change the router name as with the c3700 i could not do that. thanks for all the help on this and time is going to tell if it works. next power outage we have and if it all comes back online by itself then i will say all is good and i don't lose the speed.  again thanks.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

I would do a backup configuration to file on the R router. Just in case you have a problem and a reset is needed, just load this back on the router and you'll be back online with in minutes. 

Please mark your thread as solve so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7