× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Accessing admin panel after enabling bridge mode

msfox99
Guide

Accessing admin panel after enabling bridge mode

Hi - my setup is:

Combined cable modem/router Xfinity box--->Netgear router (miscellaneous).

I have this setup to use the cable modem inside the Xfinity box, and then the Netgear router as a Wifi access point.  In this particular case, the address range of the Xfinity box is 10.0.0.1 --> 10.0.0.255.

The range for the Netgear router is 192.168.0.1-->192.168.1.255.

I want to put the Netgear router in bridge mode, connect one of its LAN ports from it to a LAN port of the Xfinity box, and put the Netgear router in bridge mode so that the Xfinity box does the DHCP.

Two questions:

• I assume that I should change the address range of the Netgear router to match the Xfinity box, i.e. 10.0...., or does that not matter?
  • When I switch the Netgear router to bridge mode, I can no longer access it's web admin panel.  I lose communiations with that router, even though I am connected to it via Ethernet and I have temporarily removed its connection to the Xfinity box.  I have tried rebooting my computer.  When the Netgear router is in bridge mode, what address should I use to connect to it? I was trying 192.168.0.1.

Please see attached block diagram.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Accessing admin panel after enabling bridge mode

I don't think its bridge mode you're wanting. Bridge mode is for going from your xfinity to the netgear with wireless. And the netgears wireless wouldn't be rebroadcast. 

If you put the netgear in access point mode and hardwire it into the xfinity box, it'll have the same subnet, use the xfinity as hdcp, and it'll get an IP address from the xfinity box. Try that mode. 

Message 2 of 5

@msfox99 wrote:

Hi - my setup is:

Combined cable modem/router Xfinity box--->Netgear router (miscellaneous).

While the answer from @plemans is almost certainly spot on, it does not help that you haven't said anything about these anonymous devices.

I mention this partly to warn that whatever they are, this is almost certainly the wrong place to ask for advice. This section is given over to Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems. That does not cover standard routers. It is for things that connect to the mobile phone network.

So, if you need to take the discussion further, you might find it useful to find the section for your Netgear device. There may find more people there who are familiar with what you are trying to do.

Message 3 of 5
msfox99
Guide

Thanks to you  @michaelkenward  and @plemans  for your replies.  They are helpful.  And thanks for pointing out the incorrect forum, I missed that.

Message 4 of 5

@msfox99 wrote:

And thanks for pointing out the incorrect forum, I missed that.

It really isn't that important. Many questions are generic. It just helps to look in the device specific sections if you need to take things further.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7