× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Flashing DC112a with generic firmware

sgruby
Tutor

Flashing DC112a with generic firmware

I recently purchased a DC112A-2RDMES off eBay and would like to get the latest firmware on it (it has V1.0.0.14_1.0.60). I realize that the unit is a carrier specific unit out of the middle east and I'm located in the US. There is a version 48 of the firmware for the US version that has security fixes; the latest I'm offered on my unit is 42 and that won't download.

Is there a way through TFTP or otherwise to flash the US version of the firmware onto the unit so that I can get the latest firmware updates? Alternatively, is there a way for me to get the firmware file for the unit and manually install it because the OTA unit is teling me that the firmware is invalid.

Yes, I realize that using the device outside of the country it was intended is not supported. The router works fine with my AirCard 810s. I'd like to get the security fixes for it. I don't care what the branding is just as long as I can get the updates.

I don't believe that this router is sold any more.

Thanks for any information you can provide me.

Model: DC112A|AirCard Smart Cradle
Message 1 of 6
knowthyself
Aspirant

Hi, I to purchased the same model router off ebay in good faith and despite being told by the router itself and by netgear support in this forum that there is support to upgrade the firmware to 1.0.0.42 it always fails to update. This update as we know includes serious security bug fixes but when i attempt to update the firmware by auto or manual method it fails stating the firmware file is incorrect.

The router arrived with the following setup:

Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.14_2.1.38.2
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.0.42_2.1.38.3
Current Firmware Version 1.0.0.14
New Firmware Version 1.0.0.42_1.0.60

After the first attempt to update the firmware using auto method the GUI Language Version was changed but the actual firmware update failed with the message "incorrect firmware version".

Hardware VersionDC112A  V1.0

Firmware VersionV1.0.0.14_1.0.60

GUI Language VersionV1.0.0.42_2.1.38.3

Its great that Netgear have made the firmware files available however there is clearly a problem upgrading the firmware for some versions of this router and with no way to check the hash of the downloaded update files etc I ask nicely please Netgear clarify if you will fix the issue or if not let us know even if its just "not possible for commercial/legal reasons".

However you have stated in this fourm in the thread linked below that updates for this model version are available so what it is the problem and will you fix it please. Many thanks because otherwise we shall have to reverse engineer this platform and avoid buying any netgear products from this point forward for eternity.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/DC112A-firmware-update-fails/td-p/17...

Message 2 of 6
sgruby
Tutor

I sold mine (at a loss) and purchased one of these. While not as convenient as the DC112a, it actually works and has updated firmware (and I can flash it with open source firmware).

Message 3 of 6
knowthyself
Aspirant

Hi, damn did i buy it from you then haha!

Thanks for the info but i really like this device and determined to get it updated which may be folly but this afternoon I was looking at the firmwares in a hex editor but not managed to crack it yet.

There seem to be at least two versions of board i think and when i get more time its coming apart to verify the board version printed on the pcb and to find out what that SOC is because the only images i can find online of it are unfocused on the SOC but its defo broadcom.

I could do with obtaining a copy of the Firmware on it to inspect which on mine is branded as Ooredoo "V1.0.0.14_1.0.60". So if cant find this FW online will have to rip it because Netgear clearly have something going on with these wether it be legal or technial but they seem to have moved on given this device is no longer on sale with little regard about the impact on the climate by obsoleting there hw when its perfectly servicable with FW update though such activity may impact corporate profit as ever.  Though if we keep having to throw away good hardware as Netgear support fails, possibly to encourage purchase of newer hardware how long can it go on?

If Netgear would like to chime in and explain there pov it would be welcome.

Message 4 of 6
sgruby
Tutor

That would be funny if you bought it from me, but unlikely. I was pretty upfront that the firmware couldn't be flashed. I still use my hotspot regularly and it is too bad there isn't a replacement for the DC112a. Oh well.

Message 5 of 6
knowthyself
Aspirant

I never saw that in description so guess your off the hook lol and it wasnt cheap. Theres still plenty on ebay all ooredoo thou, i suppose we know why now Doh!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7