× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Hook up MR1100 to Wifi Router

agdodge4x4
Luminary

Hook up MR1100 to Wifi Router

I had an old Unite Pro that had to be hooked up through USB to a Cradlepoint which was then connected to my main rifi router.  This new router has a lan port.  When I plug it straight into my wifi router, I have internet access everywhere and all is well except that I can no longer access my wifi router (TPLINK ARCHER AC1200) via it's IP addresses for administration purposes.  I attached a pic of my setup.  I think it's just a matter of IP addresses.  Can someone help me figure this out?

Diagram of Setup

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

TTT

No one knows how to attach this device to an existing wifi router home setup properly?  Everyone uses this thing as a mobile router?

I just want it to provide internet connectivity and plug it into my existing router via ethernet port.  Currently, my setup is really messing up the network.

Message 2 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

GAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Just got off the phone with technical support after ONE HOUR.  Even they don't know how to get this damn thing to work?

Seriously....you cannot tell me I am the only person on this planet that wants to use this as a STANDALONE INTERNET CONNECTION.

Why is this not possible?  DHCP is disabled on the M1.  IP Passtrhogh is enabled.

Why is there not a step by step guide for what tech support calls  a 'common' setup?

How do I set up my main wifi router to make this freakin' hotspot work?!

Message 3 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

M1= 192.168.1.01, DHCP disabled, IP Passthrough enabled.

Linksys=192.168.0.4

When the linksys is connected to the M1 and my home PC is connected to the linsys, I have internet.  But the idiot on the phone said I shouldnt be able to connect to the M1 via 192.168.1.1.  NOT TRUE.  Because I can.  But after all of this is hooked up, I cannot access my Linsys router via 192.168.0.4.  I can't get to it's admin page.

This makes ZERO FREAKIN' SENSE.  Something is terribly wrong in this setup and I need some assistance figuring out what. 

Is there anyone that has any idea about networking or router setup that can get this going?  It's getting stupid now.

Message 4 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Hi agdodge4x4 looking at your network picture I can see you have set your router in a different subnet to the M1. This will be why you can't talk to the router.

I'm assuming the M1 is being used as the sole modem access to the internet

Here is how I would approach this set up.Turn off IP passthrough on the M1 . I would enable DHCP in the M1 and disable DHCP in any other devices that run DHCP as a server( ie. is leave DHCP client enabled, but servers off) . Have a look at the M1 settings> router setup page and you will see DHCP start and end address, mine is from 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.99 . Set the ip of the router you are trying to access to either a DHCP client or a static ip outside the M1 Server range , eg would be 192.168.1.100 for router 1 and 192.168.1.101 for router 2(do not use 192.168.1.1 as your M1 is most like using that as the gateway address, see at the top of setup page).

You should be able to access the internet fine and access both routers now as they are now within your subnet and won't accidentally conflict with the M1 DHCP service.

Message 5 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Or

If you don't know how to change the IP of router 1 and router 2 then you could go to settings > setup > router setup and change the M1 gateway address to 192.168.0.1 and then the M1 DHCP starting address to 192.168.0.20 , end address to 192.168.0.99. IP passthrough off . Reboot the M1, then after it has started reboot all your other devices to get a new address and you should still have net access and be able to access routers 1 and 2

Message 6 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

OK.  So if I set it up like you suggested, what do I plug my ethernet cable from the M1 into?  An ethernet port on the main router, or do I use the WAN port?

Message 7 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Smiley Mad

That setup rendered my TPLINK USELESS!!!!

I cannot access it now.  Not over wifi.  Not over direct connect. NOTHING.  ARGGGGGHHHHHHHH......

Im so freakin PISSED right now.

Message 8 of 62
MicW
Luminary

agdodge4x4

You can do a reset of the tplink if something has gone wrong(should be a button at the back of the tplink). As for connecting the modem to the tplink, I would connect it to one of the LAN ports. As for what went wrong, hmm did you change the ip on the LAN page to 192.168.1.100 or the WAN page? It should have been the LAN IP basically we are setting your router up as a access point so the WAN information is irrelevant

I found a tplink FAQ on this method http://www.tp-link.com.au/faq-1199.html which shows you where the settings are in the tplink

Message 9 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

No Idea.  It's up and running now, but I'm using the WAN port, M1 is in IP Passthrough mode.  Is there any advantage to using WAN vs. LAN?  Every time I try to set the M1 to an ip in my subnet and hook it up to LAN, I get internet, but I cannot access the M1 admin page.  I want the safest and fastest setup.  WAN or LAN?

Message 10 of 62
MicW
Luminary

As far as speed and safety goes , there is no difference. In the configuration you have you may consider it a slight advantage as the router 1 you are connected to via the WAN is still acting as a router, which probably has better routing features then the M1.The disadvantage is that the M1 disables its wifi and you need to reset it if you ever want to use it as a portable device. The M1 is no longer a router and is just a modem in this configuration. It is passing its internet IP to the connected router WAN IP. In this configuration( M1 connected to router 1 WAN) I would have disabled the M1 DHCP and used the router 1 DHCP instead. If you want to still be able to access the M1 admin page make sure its IPv4 is unique and within router 1 subnet, but outside router 1 DHCP range so there is no conflict.

Message 11 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

@MicW wrote:

If you want to still be able to access the M1 admin page make sure its IPv4 is unique and within router 1 subnet, but outside router 1 DHCP range so there is no conflict.

I want to clear something up.  As I have this configured, the M1 is connected to Router 1 via WAN.  M1 is a pure modem.  That's it.

You said the M1 needs a unique IPv4 within the Router 1 subnet but out of its DHCP range.  Right now, the M1 has an ip of 192.168.1.1.  I can access them with no issue while connected via lan or wifi to router 1.  Router 1 ip is 192.168.0.11.

So...why am I able to access the M1 even though its IP is not in the same subnet?  It's not a problem, it's great, I just want to know why.  The last time I tried to set the M1 as the same subnet, everything went down.  I don't want to test that again.

Message 12 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Possibly (I'm only guessing here as I don't fully know your setup) what may be happening is router 1 is passing requests to 192.168.1.* subnet to the internet and the modem being 192.168.1.1 is responding to that before it hits the internet as it is passed out of router 1 then to the modem. I'm assuming that the pc IP address you are using is in the 192.168.0.* subnet

Message 13 of 62
MicW
Luminary

What might be interesting to try is a tracert 192.168.1.1 to see what path the packets take to get to your modem

Message 14 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

I have no IP assigned to my computer.  It obtains that automatically.  As of right now, it is 192.168.0.12.  So, the same subnet as the router 1.  That makes sense since that is the DHCP server.

Here's the tracert.  It's going to router 1, and then to the hotspot it looks like?

Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.11
2 6 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1

Trace complete.

Message 15 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Yes you are correct, it is going to router 1, then the hotspot. Its good you sorted it out to your satisfaction. 🙂 if you need help with networking in the future, I'd recommend a forum at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ . A very active forum for this type of thing, as you notice netgear if pretty quiet.

Message 16 of 62
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi agdodge4x4,

I have connected my M1 to many wifi routers via ethernet and have had no issues.  Below is the steps I follow:

1. Setup DMZ on M1 to 192.168.1.x (I use 192.168.1.99)

2. Setup my WiFi router with a static IP and Gateway address (IP: 192.168.1.99 and GW: 192.168.1.1)

3. Power up the WiFi router

Please note that with older versions of firmware the Ethernet Port is disabled by default on power up.  A quick tap of the power button will wake it up.  In the latest firmware the Ethernet Port is active for 2mins on power up and then goes into standby, a quick tap of the power button when in standby will wake it up.  Please send me your contact details to adalpathadu@netgear.com if the above is still failing for you and we can troubleshoot this issue.

Kind Regards,

ArodiD

Message 17 of 62
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

I should also mention that I can access both M1 and WiFi router with this setup.

M1 - 192.168.1.1

WiFi Router - 10.0.0.1

If I connect to M1's WiFi and assigned an IP in 192.168.1.x range I can access 10.0.0.1 homepage

If I connect to WiFi router and assigned an IP in 10.0.0.x range I can access 192.168.1.1 homepage

Message 18 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

I tried to duplicate the WAN setup using the M1 and my new R8000P netgear router.  I get no internet.  I don't have something set up right in the R8000P.  Anyone know what I need to do with it to set it up so that the M1 is a standalone modem and the R8000P does the routing and DHCP?

Message 19 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Hello Adodge4x4 From what I have read, you want to connect the M1 to the WAN port on the R8000P , set the M1 to ip passthrough and disable the M1 DHCP service. Make sure the M1 gateway address (under router setup) is not in conflict with the R8000P. I'd make sure it is within the same subnet as the R8000p, but outside the R8000P DHCP range and definitely not the same IP as the R8000P itself. Make sure DHCP service is enabled on the R8000P and under internet connection make sure it is set to "Get Dynamically from ISP". There is a test internet button under that to check if the configuration works.
Message 20 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

Nope.

Doesn't work. This setup literally works on every other router I own EXCEPT my netgeear. How ironic is that...two routers from the same manufacturer not working together.

Anyone else want to venture a guess as to how to get this to work? I'm about at the end o f my rope. If it weren't for the cost, I'd smash both of these devices in my driveway with my truck. These are easily the worst, most difficult, flaky, routers I've ever used. Ever. Hands down. I cannot fathom how these can't work together. It's horrible. Support has been useless. It's like asking my 5 year old how to network. It seems like everything we do is a shotgun aporoach...just throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks. Is there anyone with experinece that can help here? I have 10 more days before my return period is up. If it doesn't work by then, it's gone.
Message 21 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Any error message when you clicked the test button?. And did you notice what IP the R8000P received? This forum is pretty slow I've noticed. Personally I prefer the forums at https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ . There are a lot more active people to help there.
Message 22 of 62
agdodge4x4
Luminary

No error messages aside from 'No Internet'.

Message 23 of 62
MicW
Luminary

Ok, can you go to the Basic home page of the R8000P click the "advanced tab" and check what the internet port IP address is, If it is 0.0.0.0 then it hasn't received the ISP address from the M1. The other thing to check at this stage, does the M1 show as being connected to your service provider on its dashboard?
Message 24 of 62
RonOnThePond
Aspirant

I just bought the MR1100 Nighthawk to use only as an   LTE   modem.   My   goal    was   the   same   as   yours:   connect   it    to   my   router   and   let   the   router   do   the rest.   I have it   working.    If you   haven't returned it    and still   want   specifics,   post   a reply   and I'll   share   how   I set   it   up.   FYI,   I am using a   Ubiquiti   EdgeRouter.   

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7