× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Is there a way I can force 3G on Netgear LB 2120?

SergioH
Tutor

Is there a way I can force 3G on Netgear LB 2120?

I seem to have problems with the 4G connection, as the router disconnects constantly. Is there a way to force only 3G connection in the LB2120?

Message 1 of 19
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is there a way I can force 3G on Netgear LB 2120?

Hi SergioH,

Sorry there is no configuration to have the LB2120 3G only. I just wanted to double check. Is your LB2120 device's firmware up to date with the most current firmware?

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 2 of 19
SergioH
Tutor

Hi Jason,

The LB2120 is up to date, we checked for updates but it said it had the latest firmware.

Message 3 of 19
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SergioH,

Thanks for your response. Did you do a factory reset on the LB2120 after you updated it to the current firmware? If not, then please proceed with the factory reset?

Please let me know if this worked :]

- Jason N

Message 4 of 19
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SergioH,

I just wanted to check up on you and see if your issue has been fixed. :]

- Jason N

Message 5 of 19
SergioH
Tutor

Hi, Jason,

I am afraid the problem was not solved, we have had to change the router and use one from another manufacturer that let us force 3G connection always, and this way the connection is stable.

As 4G connections are unstable in some places, it would be important if in future firmware updates of the LB2120 it allows the selection of 3G/4G, 3G only or 4G only.

Message 6 of 19
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SergioH,

Sorry to hear you were not satified with the LB2120 model. He did have other models that fitted your needs. The LB1120 is able to select  which bands to only use.

If your new device is not compatible with you, then please take a look at our LB1120 model.

with that you would just need to go under Settings > Mobile > Preferences > Network Mode.

- Jason N

Message 7 of 19
MarkGandolfo
Aspirant

I have the LB1120 and would also like ot force it to the 3G band. Under Settings > Mobile > Preferences > Network Mode the preference is on automatic and cant be changed. is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 19
SergioH
Tutor

I haven't found a way to force the 3G connection, in fact I have had to use another manufacturer's router because there is no way to make this one work with a faulty 4G connection.

Message 9 of 19
MarkGandolfo
Aspirant

i to have the same problem with 4G. What modem did you go with to force to 3G?

Message 10 of 19
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone,

Currently it is not able to select a band. I will forward this to my internal team and they will review the idea for consideration.

Thank you. :]

- Jason N

Message 11 of 19
MAGADE
Guide

hi, perhaps in cellular panel, try to select manuel band et select other than lte.

Message 12 of 19
TimeTorn
Aspirant

I have the 1120, there's no option to choose between LTE, 4g, or 3g

This is a severe design flaw by Netgear to exclude such an essential feature.

Currently on my phone I am getting abysmally poor download speeds, less than 10Kbps on LTE, but much better, although still poor speeds on 4g, 5Mbps.

So of course the Netgear modem in this particular location is essentially useless. A useless pile of junk simply due to the exclusion of a very basic and essential feature.

Netgear should be ashamed for such an oversight. A clear display of ineptitude and lack of understanding or any real world testing.

Since it's been over 4 months since this has been suggested, and no such feature has been added, I doubt we will be seeing any firmware update that might fix our defective useless modems.

Looks like I'll have to return this modem and purchase a new one from a manufacturer that actually knows what they're doing.
Message 13 of 19
Marro
Aspirant

Hello, I have the same problem I use fixed IP SIM and I use IPsec VPN with this router in bridge mode and it works really well, but I am in location where is very unstable 4G network. Sometimes is very fast, but sometimes almost 0 speed, 3G goes slower, but enough and very stable. In these time router try to go on 4G and this is bad for me and sometimes goes 3G then is everything fine. So the idea of the router for this usage is very good, but this feature is last think which I am missing, after that the product will be really good for me.

There is Network Scan button, but it only scans and restarts router, and than there is no options only that button. So if it is possible, please add this feature of selecting 3G, 4G or automatic mode to the next firmware update.

Message 14 of 19
thernus
Guide

I was playing around with the 'Netgear Mobile' APP and in it you can choose some modes with it for the LB2120, LTE/3G ect.

Using this you can force 3G only, I would really rather be able to do proper band selection or have the proper

Telnet commands to lock bands on this thing though. Like I can on pretty much every other netgear 3G/LTE modem I have!

(320u/790s/800s)

Message 15 of 19
LB2120User
Aspirant

I wish I had found this post a fortnight ago before I wasted my money and bought an LB2120. I’m got exactly the same problem.

Netgear, why are you not listening to your customers? There is clearly a deficiency in your products configuration that is available in the most basic of cellular modems and routers. Why have you not included the band selection feature?

while we wait for your response, can anyone recommend a suitable device? - must have the Ethernet port.

lastly, has any clever person worked out how to use telnet to achieve the configuration we are looking for?

Thanks and regards

Message 16 of 19
LB2120User
Aspirant

Sorry I should have edited my last comment...all of which still stand. I have managed to borrow an access point to run the app referred to above (thank you by the way). 

Still waiting for the firmware release though so it can be done properly.

thanks and regards

Message 17 of 19
thernus
Guide

You can telnet to it via the IP and port 5510, I have found some commands to use but the band selection commands doesnt seem to work properly.

AT$QCBANDPREF=?
$QCBANDPREF: (0-1)
AT$QCBANDPREF=1,"33"
$QCBANDPREF=1,"33"

Message 18 of 19
LB2120User
Aspirant

Thanks. That’s great info to have.

The above method via a wifi router and the app has done the trick. Forced to 3G and sitting happily on 3 signal bars. Performance reasonable considering my location so hoping the settings will stick but more importantly I hope Netgear bring out the firmware update so others are not as imapacted.

cheers

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7