× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: M1 Double NAT?

Davidor
Aspirant

M1 Double NAT?

So, I am using the M1 as my home internet modem.  Behind that, I have a firewall/router.  I'm not interested in making the firewall/router passthrough.  (I paid well over $3,000 for it between hardware and licensing.... it's business class.)  Well, I'm trying to set the firewall up as a VPN concentrator or server.  I cannot get it to work.  If I'm internal on my network, the VPN works fine.  As soon as I leave the wifi, it doesn't work.  I'm using noip's DDNS service to keep a public FQDN set to my dynamic public IP address.  

Problem I'm having is the modem says I have IP passthrough enabled.  But, it sure doesn't seem like it's working.  If I go to google and check what is my IP, I get 166.137.83.37.  If I check the IP address of the interface within the netgear config page, it shows 10.221.227.161.  The firewall/modem shows the same 10.221.227.161 on the external interface.  But, for one, in classful routing, 10.x.x.x is a private subnet.  So, that's odd to me to be getting that from my ISP.   But, there has to be a NAT happening between the real external IP of 166.137.83.37 and 10.221.227.161.  My internal network is 10.0.1.0 subnet, so it should be fine.  The 161 network is a /32 and my home subnet is a /24.

Message 1 of 2
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M1 Double NAT?

@Davidor wrote:

So, I am using the M1 as my home internet modem.  Behind that, I have a firewall/router.  I'm not interested in making the firewall/router passthrough.  (I paid well over $3,000 for it between hardware and licensing.... it's business class.)  Well, I'm trying to set the firewall up as a VPN concentrator or server.  I cannot get it to work.  If I'm internal on my network, the VPN works fine.  As soon as I leave the wifi, it doesn't work.  I'm using noip's DDNS service to keep a public FQDN set to my dynamic public IP address.  

Problem I'm having is the modem says I have IP passthrough enabled.  But, it sure doesn't seem like it's working.  If I go to google and check what is my IP, I get 166.137.83.37.  If I check the IP address of the interface within the netgear config page, it shows 10.221.227.161.  The firewall/modem shows the same 10.221.227.161 on the external interface.  But, for one, in classful routing, 10.x.x.x is a private subnet.  So, that's odd to me to be getting that from my ISP.   But, there has to be a NAT happening between the real external IP of 166.137.83.37 and 10.221.227.161.  My internal network is 10.0.1.0 subnet, so it should be fine.  The 161 network is a /32 and my home subnet is a /24.

This is limited by the carriers. Usually, carrier doesn't allow remote access back to your home network behind M1. But as we know some carriers provide the special VPN service to allow this o happen with extra cost. You need to contact your carrier for such services,

Thanks

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7