× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Supported in South Korea and Japan?

FailsWithTails
Follower

MR1100 Nighthawk M1 Supported in South Korea and Japan?

Hello everyone,

Let me start with the TL;DR of it. I'm looking to use a Nighthawk M1 along with Google Fi for remote work while I am traveling abroad in South Korea and Japan. I did a lot of searching and still could not figure out for certain on my own whether I could buy a Nighthawk MR1100 (and which version specifically) and be able to use it in South Korea and Japan. Any help would be appreciated.

(Note: While I did see people confirming the Google Fi data SIM compatibility with the Nighthawk M1, and separately Google Fi working in South Korea and Japan, I did not see anyone using the two together in those countries.)

I spotted an "MR1100-100NAS" Nighthawk M1 being sold on Amazon. The Customer Q&As mention that this model would not work in South Korea or Japan, and to be on the lookout for the MR1100 variants. However, these are all from only 2 customers, 1-2 years ago. (Netgear phone support did verify compatibility in North America/South America/Europe/UK/Guam.)

I looked on Netgear's support page, and it doesn't even explicitly list the 100NAS version.

So I continued searching, and stumbled across this official Netgear Knowlege Base article (Article ID: 29947, last updated: 08/21/2020), which seems to indicate I could use the Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router (MR1100) in Japan and South Korea. It does not at all distinguish the model variants (MR1100 / MR1100-1TLAUS / MR1100ATT / etc.). In the list of relevant products, it does mention the Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router. Down below, the table includes Japan and South Korea, 3 network providers each.

As for verifying the frequency band compatibility, I checked the official Nighthawk M1 product page against both a website from 2016 and a seemingly newer website listing South Korean LTE freqency bands.

Again, I'm struggling to find out whether I can use a Nighthawk M1 to work remotely in South Korea and Japan. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I tried attaching images to allow for better long-term thread usability in case websites go down in the future, but it might be getting my post blocked.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7