× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR6500 - I noticed there are two interfaces on the device labeled Antenna.

Rashenfelter
Tutor

MR6500 - I noticed there are two interfaces on the device labeled Antenna.

@JohnPeng 

John, 

I noticed there are two interfaces on the device labeled Antenna.  Can you purchase external antennas for these that may increase signal?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JT240Z
Luminary

Yes, you would use a 2x2 MIMO antenna with T-9 connectors.  The one downside to using them is it disables the internal antenna that are 4x4 MIMO.  The external antenna should only be used in very low signal areas where service using the internal antenna is too poor.  4x4 MIMO is more efficient at pulling in more signals so is inherently better for bandwidth if you have decent signal strength.  In good signal areas, using the external antenna will actually reduce your bandwidth.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JT240Z
Luminary

Yes, you would use a 2x2 MIMO antenna with T-9 connectors.  The one downside to using them is it disables the internal antenna that are 4x4 MIMO.  The external antenna should only be used in very low signal areas where service using the internal antenna is too poor.  4x4 MIMO is more efficient at pulling in more signals so is inherently better for bandwidth if you have decent signal strength.  In good signal areas, using the external antenna will actually reduce your bandwidth.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7