× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR6500 Unlocked on T-Mobile max download speed of 5mbps and 8 mbps up

joshhugley
Aspirant

MR6500 Unlocked on T-Mobile max download speed of 5mbps and 8 mbps up

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this device, but can't seem to get very good speed, even at times where my 5g phone is able to get 300+ mbps down.

The firmware version is NTGX65_10.01.47.00

Is there a newer firmware? The on device updater says "Software Update Error" any time I try to check.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Side note, speeds are both over 5ghz wifi and ethernet.

Message 1 of 3
JT240Z
Luminary

Re: MR6500 Unlocked on T-Mobile max download speed of 5mbps and 8 mbps up

I'm interested to hear if you ever resolve this as I'm considering purchasing an unlocked MR6500 for use with T-mobile as well.  Seems that an unlocked 6500 does not make T-Mobile specific frequencies available.  This may be an issue.  I believe that it requires an MR6550.

Message 2 of 3
Kadwish
Aspirant

Re: MR6500 Unlocked on T-Mobile max download speed of 5mbps and 8 mbps up

I have the 5100 and was experiencing the same problem.  Brand new 50gb account and I was barely getting 2mbps when my phone, sitting next to it, was getting over 100.  

I changed the APN in the broadband settings from the default of fast.t-mobile.com  over to fast.metropcs.com and it immediately shot up to about 30mbps.  I then tried pcweb.metropcs and it went up to about 40.  I then manually added the APN of broadband (PDP: IPV4V6) and it went up to about 50.  Still not at the same level as the phone, but a huge improvement. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7