× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave
Reply

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

RS28
Aspirant

Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

I have both of these routers in the U.K
Netgear M6 Pro MR6550 Unlocked (US) version
Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 Unlocked
getting very poor downloads & upload speeds compared to MR6450
on Three UK 5G Network Sim Card
MR6550 - DL 35mb - UL 13mb
MR6450 - DL 650mb UL 170mb
What can be the problem I’m testing them side by side and the difference is ridiculously huge
MR6550 firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00
Message 1 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

I am connected to Three 5G network WIFI on the MR6550, but the download speed are like 4G or even lower I tried both 2.4 ghz and 5G WiFi bands

in the Netgear app diagnostic section under Current Radio Band is - LTE B3
5G RSRP - N/A
5G RSRQ - N/A
5G RS-SNR - N/A
The above doesn’t change at all always stay showing N/A on the MR6550

whereas on the MR6450 Current Radio Band is LTE B1 and 5G RSRP 5G RSRQ 5G RS-SNR are showing digits numbers fluctuating the download speeds are terrible on the MR6550 can anyone please help me what is wrong with this router

The MR6450 is superb very high download
Three Network 5G mast tower is literally only 150 ft away from my house quite close
Message 2 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

I even had a MR6500-1TLAUS on Telstra Version which was working perfect on the same Three UK 5G network was getting 5G speeds close to MR6450

MR6550-100PAS - working with No 5G speeds
MR6450-100EUS - working perfect with 5G
MR6500-1TLAUS - working perfect with 5G

I assumed the MR6550 was supposed to be more superior with the most network bands has advertised by Netgear and latest 2023 release model

could you please let me know is there any firmware in works to fix the issue the same which was done on did other versions please @JohnPeng
Message 3 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00


@RS28 wrote:
I even had a MR6500-1TLAUS on Telstra Version which was working perfect on the same Three UK 5G network was getting 5G speeds close to MR6450

MR6550-100PAS - working with No 5G speeds
MR6450-100EUS - working perfect with 5G
MR6500-1TLAUS - working perfect with 5G

I assumed the MR6550 was supposed to be more superior with the most network bands has advertised by Netgear and latest 2023 release model

could you please let me know is there any firmware in works to fix the issue the same which was done on did other versions please @JohnPeng

MR6550-100PAS is targeting US and Canadian carriers, the band and combo supports are different from Telstra and EU SKU. MR6550-100PAS can support roaming to EMEA countries, but the device performance will be compatible with SKUs targeting EMEA contries.

 

Thanks

John

Message 4 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

@JohnPeng
Thanks for replying MR6550-100PAS so it can support roaming to EMEA countries that is including UK too but the device doesn’t perform has it should do I’m getting No 5G speeds at all on the Three UK 5G Network which is biggest 5G network provider in the United Kingdom although it show up on the router LCD connected to 5G but No 5G Speeds maximum speeds I’m getting are 50-60mb download compared to 600mbs + on the other Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 MR6500 routers even on the Netgear M1 I was getting 150mb Netgear claim the MR6550 can roam over 125 countries can you please check via JSON file
what can be the issue
Message 5 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

@JohnPeng this MR6550-100PAS cost $999 and claims it is a “unlocked model” and can roam in over 125+ countries as Netgear advertises it on the website then surely it should work in the United Kingdom, which is a major country in Europe

MR6550-100PAS has the most 4G 5G network bands show on Netgear website specifications even more than MR6450-100EUS version

The MR6500-1TLAUS is targeting a Australian Telstra carrier only and doesn’t specify it’s a“unlocked model” has the lowest least 4G 5G bands but still it works perfect on 5G in U.K unlike the MR6550-100PAS which Netgear claims it’s a “unlocked model ” and covers 125+ countries and yet it doesn’t work in the United Kingdom on the UK biggest 5G Network Provider “Three” Why does it show on the MR6550 router it’s connected to 5G but I don’t get the 5G download speeds only very low 4G speeds it doesn’t make any sense I believe this issue needs to be fixed via a firmware update
Message 6 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

@JohnPeng I sent both json files for Netgear M6 Pros MR6550-100PAS and MR6450-100EUS to email jopeng@netgear.com
Both on same SIM card “Three U.K 5G Network”
ID @RS28
Message 7 of 15
stavster
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

I have just recently purchased an MR6450 M6 Pro unlocked version in the last week. I too am having problems on the Three network in the UK with the device. Generally (apart from the odd exception, see below) really poor speeds, both in normal CGNAT mode and IP Passthrough. Tried both.

 

Seems to fluctuate enormously.

 

However at a couple of points during the last week I have got super speed from the device on Three, running exactly the same config parameters as say for instance now.

 

Looking at the device connection info from the admin portal, I am always connecting at "5GSUB6"  to the Three mast which is near my house. I think this is the best 5G operational mode. / frequency Three supports at the moment. At least in my area.

 

Here is the oddity: (Couldnt complain with this I was shell shocked when it came through. And repeated the test multple times for a few hours on that day with similar results)

 

My speedtest result from a few days ago : (740M download, 83M Upload) - Speedtest was performed connecting via Wifi 6E both on 5ghz and 6ghz directly to the MR6450.

 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/15472301035 

15472301035

 

However as soon as I rebooted the router the next time (with the same config, nothing changed) and connecting with no real fluctuation in quality and mode to the Three 5G mast I am consistently getting speeds like this. (Still "5GSUB6")

 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/15483806830 

15483806830

 

Occasionally on a few reboots on various days I might get 350M download 40 - 60M upload but this is very rare. And then on a power off and reconnect it will just drop to 20 - 40M again.

 

It really just seems hit or miss (more often than not miss) if I get a decent speed out of it like the 750M download test I posted further up the post. If anyone has any feedback / suggestions or if Netgear would like me to provide logs I am happy to do so.

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Message 8 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00


@stavster wrote:

I have just recently purchased an MR6450 M6 Pro unlocked version in the last week. I too am having problems on the Three network in the UK with the device. Generally (apart from the odd exception, see below) really poor speeds, both in normal CGNAT mode and IP Passthrough. Tried both.

 

Seems to fluctuate enormously.

 

However at a couple of points during the last week I have got super speed from the device on Three, running exactly the same config parameters as say for instance now.

 

Looking at the device connection info from the admin portal, I am always connecting at "5GSUB6"  to the Three mast which is near my house. I think this is the best 5G operational mode. / frequency Three supports at the moment. At least in my area.

 

Here is the oddity: (Couldnt complain with this I was shell shocked when it came through. And repeated the test multple times for a few hours on that day with similar results)

 

My speedtest result from a few days ago : (740M download, 83M Upload) - Speedtest was performed connecting via Wifi 6E both on 5ghz and 6ghz directly to the MR6450.

 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/15472301035 

15472301035

 

However as soon as I rebooted the router the next time (with the same config, nothing changed) and connecting with no real fluctuation in quality and mode to the Three 5G mast I am consistently getting speeds like this. (Still "5GSUB6")

 

https://www.speedtest.net/result/15483806830 

15483806830

 

Occasionally on a few reboots on various days I might get 350M download 40 - 60M upload but this is very rare. And then on a power off and reconnect it will just drop to 20 - 40M again.

 

It really just seems hit or miss (more often than not miss) if I get a decent speed out of it like the 750M download test I posted further up the post. If anyone has any feedback / suggestions or if Netgear would like me to provide logs I am happy to do so.

Thanks

 

 

 

 


Could you please help to capture the model.json files when you see both high and low TP? You can send them to me at jopeng@netgear.com.

 

 
- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

 

 

Message 9 of 15
RS28
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

Latest firmware released for Netgear M6 Pro 17th November 2023. FW: NTGX65_12.01.47.00

I’m still having the same issue with my MR6550 slow 5G Speeds

FW: NTGX65_12.01.47.00 details below

We're excited to announce a new firmware release that addresses intermittent connectivity issues related to device heat on your Nighthawk M6/M6 Pro. Our team has worked diligently to enhance the performance and reliability of your device, especially during extended usage periods.

Key improvements include:

- The firmware update optimizes temperature management to mitigate connectivity issues caused by device heat.

- You can expect improved network stability and a smoother user experience, ensuring uninterrupted connectivity even in challenging conditions.

- We've fine-tuned various aspects of the firmware to provide an overall better performance for your 5G mobile hotspot.

To install the firmware update, please follow these steps:
1. Ensure your device is fully charged or connected to a power source.
2. Connect your 5G mobile hotspot to a cellular network.
3. Tap Settings>More>Software>Check for Updates.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the latest firmware.
Message 10 of 15
SuzzaneIllac
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

Check firmware updates, signal strength, or contact Netgear support for troubleshooting the MR6550's slow speeds compared to MR6450.

Message 11 of 15
Jtp77
Initiate

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

Sounds like your router doesn’t have the correct N band to connect to available N band in your area with subscriber.
Bought the 6500 ATT version. Says unlocked and works with T-Mobile. That is correct. Works with T-Mobile only at LTE speeds not 5G. T-Mobile uses N71. Which this device doesn’t have.
Now need to sell and upgrade to the MR6550 which has the N71.
Message 12 of 15
W1lliam
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

MR6550-100APS is having same bands' support as MR6450-100EUS, plus mmWave bands. MR6550-100PAS probably not a good choice for the area you are staying.

Message 13 of 15
rogerr2
Initiate

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00

Recently updated my firmware on my MR6550 and now I am getting same results of 5G N/A and high latency.  Before update I had perfect connectivity and really fast internet.

Message 14 of 15
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Netgear M6 Pro MR6450 vs MR6550 Very Slow Download Speeds firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00


@rogerr2 wrote:

Recently updated my firmware on my MR6550 and now I am getting same results of 5G N/A and high latency.  Before update I had perfect connectivity and really fast internet.


Please capture a model.json file and send me by PM.

 

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

 

Thanks

John

 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3524 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series