× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear M6 use as a permanent hotspot in the Tesla Model S Plaid without battery use only with USB C

TSLA_Model_S
Initiate

Netgear M6 use as a permanent hotspot in the Tesla Model S Plaid without battery use only with USB C

Hi everyone, I want to permanently install a Netgear M6 5G hotspot in my Tesla Model S Plaid 2022.
To do this, I removed the battery and restarted it in the appropriate mode,
As long as the car does not go into sleep mode, everything runs smoothly, but when the car switches off sleep mode, no more power is supplied via the USB C charging sockets.
When I then get into the car, power is supplied again via the USB C socket, but the Hortspot reports that no power is connected.
The following picture appears
Can anyone help me where the error lies?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-26 um 18.00.15.png

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TSLA_Model_S
Initiate

Re: Netgear M6 use as a permanent hotspot in the Tesla Model S Plaid without battery use only with U

I have now figured it out myself, the two front USB C sockets do not supply enough current, the two rear ones under the screen of the rear seat supply enough current. there is 0.4A there and only 0.2A in the front. so now it works in the back!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
casarodante
Aspirant

Re: Netgear M6 use as a permanent hotspot in the Tesla Model S Plaid without battery use only with U

I cannot see your image but I had a problem getting power via just USB at first with a 'standard' USB connection.  I wanted to use it in our Airstream and the Netgear needs a bit more than just USB.  It works, that I have found, with a QuickCharge 3.0 charger.  I got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779D7DFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and using the QuickCharge 3.0 ports, it seems to work fine.  It has to do an initial reboot to get to the power only mode.

Message 2 of 3
TSLA_Model_S
Initiate

I have now figured it out myself, the two front USB C sockets do not supply enough current, the two rear ones under the screen of the rear seat supply enough current. there is 0.4A there and only 0.2A in the front. so now it works in the back!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7