× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 - Ethernet port defaulting to OFF on bootup

MickK
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk M1 - Ethernet port defaulting to OFF on bootup

I have this device sitting ontop of a small server rack to provide fast remote access (vs fixed line ADSL)c. The unit is being run without battery in a server room cooled to 20 degrees celcius.

It will sometimes reset during the day, at which point i can walk downstairs and tap the power button once to wake up the Ethernet port. However I can't always be onsite to reset the Ethernet port and sometimes the unit resets at night.

Is there a temperature protection feature that is causing the unit to reset? I have disabled WIFI to reduce power consumption in the hopes this will prevent random resets.

Is there an option to set the Ethernet port to default to ON on bootup?

Related - does anyone know how long until a firmware update to enable IP Pass-Through wil be available? I have an internet load balancer behind the nighthawk with a dynamic dns feature built in, but it will only trigger on ip address change on the WAN port of the load balancer.

Cheers, M.K.

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MickK

I have sent you a private message.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
MickK
Initiate

Ive had no problem connecting to the nighthawk with any pc on the network, or connecting externally to the few PCs that have remoate desktop connection enabled.

I have multiple port forwarding happening on the nighthawk and on the router that sits behind it (double NAT configuration).

This is not an issue until the Nighthawk decides to reset randomly (dont know why, maybe safety feature for temperature?), and when it resets the Ethernet port is OFF by default until i tap the power button, then everything works again (assuming Dynamic DNS is updated).

M.K.

Message 3 of 9
czj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm getting random reboots too.
Rarely when the battery is plugged in the M1.
Constantly when there is no battery inside.

Temperature is below 40° C most of the time.

The reboot happens exactly when the load is very important (100 Mbps with LTE carrier aggregation)

It happens the exact same way with the standard 5W power supply, and even with a 10W (5V 2A) charger.

Message 4 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello czj

Our engineers are aware of these issues and are working on them.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 9
czj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. That's good news !

Any idea of the date of the release of the firmware upgrade ? The last one dates back from january already and these problems are really annoying.

Message 6 of 9
JD1337
Aspirant

Any update on the ethernet issue

I have been having issues with my M1 Device for ages. NBN was supposed to be enabled in my area back in December last year, but still is unavailable now, so this Telstra 4G is the only option I have here for the internet - this device needs to do my whole house. 

Most of my house is hooked up via Ethernet, and a few devices don't have wifi at all, so I've been connecting this device to another router's WAN port.

So far I had ton's of issues with that setup at stock, basically devices may or may not connect / recognise, and then everything might randomly drop out. I grabbed the latest firmware and enabled the IP Passthrough. This worked better, but still had the occasional internet dropout which required a few unplugs and restarts to get everything to recognize again.

However,

after one of these dropouts I now cannot get the Ethernet port to work at all, whether connected to my pc or connected to the router (both variations have worked before). So I factory reset the box, but still nothing!

I've tried a few different cables (all of which work fine connecting between my switch and PC) and the wifi of the M1 works fine. This device is such a nightmare, why can't it just work properly!!!

Any help with the Ethernet port would be great. It is literally just coming up as "Not Connected" on both my PC and my router (when it is connected and ON)

Message 7 of 9
MicW
Luminary

Unless you have the M1 connected to the WAN port of the router and DHCP set up on the router and disabled on the M1, I wouldn't use ip passthrough . My M1 has not had any issues with the ethernet. It sounds like yours may be a warranty issue if it is not being detected. Do  you get a termination light at your router when it is plugged in?

Message 8 of 9
JasBro
Guide

DarrenM,

any word on on this firmware update.

Jas

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo