× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6500) 5G hotspot high ping

Nanaki255
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6500) 5G hotspot high ping

long story short.... even though my hotspot has a recommended external antenna, and has supposedly full bars with the 5G signal, I'm getting utter TRASH speeds... like, 150-300 ms ping, MAX 10 mb download and 2 mb upload. 

I feel a bit had - Everything I have read is that this thing is supposedly super fast on 5g, up to 20 ms ping and 50mb download even without an antenna... what gives?

any suggestions on how to fix it? im okay getting a different antenna if needed, but from what people have been telling me, that might increase the bandwidth speeds, but it wont affect ping. and ping is what i need.... <--- gamer if you couldn't tell...

i know 5G gaming is not advised but i just moved to rural country and this is really the only option....

Message 1 of 3
AJohnDoe
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6500) 5G hotspot high ping

A while back I had the same issues and same questions. The thing I found with the 5G with full bars is that it really doesn’t mean much. Bars are really just there for show, you’ll want to look into the advanced statistics on your device. If you have the APP go to (Settings > Network > Advanced Info), if you don’t have it definitely get it, it has a lot of settings like ethernet standby that aren’t available on the web portal or device settings. On the device you can navigate to a similar page in the settings called “Status” I believe.

What you are looking for is Signal Quality (RSRP, RSRQ, and RS-SINR), as well as Radio Band, and Quality. If under Signal Quality it only shows RSRP don’t worry, it’s due to what Radio Band you are on.

First, look what band you are on and compare it to the Cell Bands that your provider has. Example, I have AT&T, commonly I get Radio Band (LTE B2,LTE B12,LTE B30, or LTEB66). My device reads 5G with full bars, but if i go check it says Radio Band (LTE B2). I’m not entirely sure why it doesn’t just tell me i’m using LTE. However, I would look into a few things to fix your problem.

1. Identify what band your device is connecting to.
2. Check on your phone. Dial *3001#12345#* on an iphone and find what band your phone is using.
3. Next, on your cell modem, find the Cell ID in the advanced info we went over earlier. go to cellmapper.com and enter what provider you have. The website is not user-friendly so youtube is helpful. Find nearby cell towers, for gaming I would look for anything broadcasting Radio Band (B66) or the equivalent of that band for your provider (B66 is AT&T).
4. If you find one that is decently close you can get into the complex stuff if you really want to get this fixed. Bandlocking. You will need the app for this. I spent weeks trying to figure this out. I can’t write the entire process here but i can tell you what to look up to get started. “How to band lock with Putty”. There is a reddit thread that can help you get started. Basically what you will do is use a terminal to input “AT commands” to create the option to select what bands to lock onto with your device. The app has the option but doesn’t give you the options for anything besides “All Bands or LTE only”. You’ll be adding your own to this list. This is not the easiest thing to do at first, it takes patience and a lot of reading.

Not sure what Netgears stance is on bandlocking.
I’m not saying I did this stuff but for some unknown reason not at all related to this… my ping in games went from 180 average to 42, download speed from 1-2 to 18-20, and upload speed from .7-.9 to 19-20. Jitter is about 6-11.

Good luck, and get a mimo directional antenna and point it at the bandlocked tower :)!
Message 2 of 3
SimpleUser1234
Initiate

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6500) 5G hotspot high ping

Could you point the direction in which you found out the right AT commands to edit the bands? How where you able to edit the existing bands? Have spent hours researching this problem. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7