× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 External Antennas will actually boost signal?

NighthawkMR1100
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 External Antennas will actually boost signal?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 and have tried several external antennas that state they will boost the cellular signal from a tower.  They do not.

After reading several chats, it seems @W1lliam  stated that the antenna ports on M1, these two ports only designed for low bands (such as B1/3/8/28..,etc.).

I've also tested the speed with the MIMO antenna plugged into the MR1100 and unplugged and the speed tests are not improved by the antenna.  I've also used open signal to pinpoint the direction of the AT&T tower and have the antenna facing that direction.

So in short, what external antennas would actually boost our signal?

Netgear Nighthawk MR1100

Current Radio Band LTE B14

RSRP -99 dBm

RSRQ -9

RS-SINR 18dBm

Message 1 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

I did try with Netgear MIMO antenna, TS-9 connector, when dealing with B1/3/7/8/28, got some improvement. But had not investigated further if that helps high band, FYI.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203266837855?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zvN9ub6sTFG&sss...

Message 2 of 7
NighthawkMR1100
Aspirant

Thank you!   

NETGEAR 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors is the last external antenna that I tried.  .  Got it from Amazon.  I think it's the same one you tried. 

The one over at ebay you mentioned is a NETGEAR 6000450 MIMO Antenna for 3G/4G Air Card USB

Is this the same antenna?

FYI  My current band is LTE B66

Message 3 of 7
NighthawkMR1100
Aspirant

I read on another post to possibly connect a NETGEAR Orbi mesh WiFi system to the ethernet port of the Nighthawk.  I've just ordered this and will try it out.

Message 4 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

If you are focusing on B66, then you probably need to check on each antenna product(s) that you think might be helpful if they do support that frequency, even without TS-9, you still can find a convertor for TS-9, most of professional antenna comes with N-type connector, so you need to have N-to-TS9 antenna cable ordered to accommodate the antenna you pick up
Message 5 of 7
NighthawkMR1100
Aspirant

Responding to If you are focusing on B66, then you probably need to check on each antenna product(s) that you think might be helpful if they do support that frequency, even without TS-9, you still can find a convertor for TS-9, most of professional antenna comes with N-type connector, so you need to have N-to-TS9 antenna cable ordered to accommodate the antenna you pick up

I'm not focusing on B66, its just the radio band listed under my MR1100 diagnostics.  Previously the radio band was B14, so I am assuming that the nighthawk changes bands as needed?

If the TS9 ports on the M1 are only designed for low bands, would I look for a low band antenna?  If so, what should I look for?  Sorry, but this is not in my wheelhouse.   Just trying to find an external antenna to boost our signal.

Message 6 of 7
W1lliam
Virtuoso

From what I tested, TS-9 ports are for lower band as major, but it would intercepts high band signal as well, just not designed for that. So, back to your question, TS-9 can be used for antenna designed for bands you are looking for, tried with Poynting antenna and it does very well for the job just its price is higher among similar products
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7