× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Netgear Nighthawk m1100 slow ethernet connection

atlaskARK
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk m1100 slow ethernet connection

I am trying to create a servicable remote-working setup using the M1100 and an unlimited hotspot plan. I'm also not very savvy and will sound stupid in describing this issue. My M1100 gives great speeds when connected to the 5g wifi connection, and less stellar speeds when connected to the 2.4g wifi connection. However, I am connecting to it via an ethernet cable. Here's a rundown of my setup:

M1100 connected with ethernet to an Aruba device (which connects to my workplace's private network), which then connects to a polycom phone device. The Aruba receives its wifi from the M1100, but I actually connect my laptop/monitors to the Aruba wifi when I'm getting connected. Basically, I'm seeing download/upload speeds akin to those I'd see with the 2.4g connection on the M1100, which leads me to believe there's possibly a setting that is defaulting to that connection type when utilizing an ethernet cable. 

Can anyone help me get the most speed out of this system? I really need to make it work, as I live in a rural area where there are very few other internet options. 

Any help is truly appreciated. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk m1100 slow ethernet connection

a couple things. 

1. 2.4ghz is a slower network. that's just how it functions. But because of how it works it broadcasts further and through more materials. so it being slow isn't an issue, its an expectation. 

2. without knowing more about what these mystery devices are, its tough to tell you anything about their connect

3. what wired speed do you get with a pc/laptop directly wired into the hotspot without any vpn used? 

4. vpn's can restrict speeds because everything has to run through your vpn host and they can limit the upload/download speed that they allow to be used on their servers. 

Message 2 of 9
atlaskARK
Guide

That makes sense. I just wonder how anyone in my company would be getting workable speeds if the VPN is throttling. I unfortunately have no way of checking the typical ethernet speed workout the Aruba device because my computer doesn’t have a port.
The Aruba is model: APINP203
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

with the 5ghz giving you normal full speeds and without being able to test the ethernet port, its hard to figure out where the bottleneck is. 
I'd be betting on your vpn setup either through the aruba or on your laptop because the 5ghz on the hotspot is giving you full speed. 

One thing you can try is setting the aruba's IP address into the netgears DMZ. that automatically forwards all data to the aruba with no inspection/firewall. 

Message 4 of 9
atlaskARK
Guide

I will try this. Thank you for the advice and your time!

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Hope it works for you!

Is the arubu running in router mode? 

Do you have the M1100 in passthrough mode? (wifi wouldn't work if you did). 

Potentially a double nat could cause some dhcp/nat issues. 

Message 6 of 9
atlaskARK
Guide

I went to set the M1100 DMZ to the aruba IP, but I don't actually see an IP labeled on the aruba and don't know how to access it. 

The other terms you just used are unfamiliar to me. I'm uncertain what router mode is or what its alternatives are, and I don't know what passthrough mode is on the M1100 or how to toggle it. 

I'm sorry for being so ignorant about these things. 

Message 7 of 9
atlaskARK
Guide

I am seeing that IP passthrough is off on the router (should this be on?)

I also see an option for "always on wifi" that would route all traffic through ethernet WAN. Is this an option I should try? I only need the router for this one work connection, so if it doesn't transmit wifi to other devices that is not a problem. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

the Arubu might be in access point mode. tough to know since your work provided it. 

If its in AP mode, you won't need to use the DMZ option. 

You could potentially use it for your work computer as then it'll automatically forward the data to it. 

I'd hold off on the passthrough mode because if the aruba isn't in router mode, nothing will be managing dhcp/nat if you put the netgear in passthrough mode. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7