× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) / DD-WRT Double NAT

MikeMike
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) / DD-WRT Double NAT

Hi All,

I am experieincing a double NAT condition with my Nighthawk M1 in IP pass through mode as described in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-M1-MR1100-Nighthawk-R8500-Double-N... .

The solution in that case was to disable the router / NAT / firewall features on the R8500, let the M1 handle this and set up some bi-directional port forwards. In my case I would not like to do this as I want to use the features of the DD-WRT router I have the M1 connected to purley with the intent of using it as a modem. 

Is there any way that I can disable the NAT and all routing features on the M1 and let them be handled by DD-WRT router?

If that is not supported now will it be supportted at some stage in a future firmware release?

Thanks,

Mike.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

According to the manual, there is a IP Passthrough option.  Go to SETTINGS > Setup > Router Setup to enable it.

Message 2 of 4
MikeMike
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I'm already in IP passthrough mode on the M1 and the WAN interface on the DD-WRT successfully gets the internet facing IP, gateway and DNS. The problem seems to be that that doesn't disable the NAT on the M1 and double NAT results... That's what I'm trying to solve.

Thanks,

Mike.
Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (AU)
Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Most mobile Internet providers use CGNAT.  If your Internet facing IP is any of the following, then it's not a public IP address.  You won't be able to avoid double NAT.

• 192.168.x.x
  • 10.x.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x
  • 100.64.x.x through 100.127.x.x
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7