× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M2 guests are isolated on different bands

Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Any update on when the new firmware for the M6 will be available to test? 

Thanks.

Message 26 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

I can see you are replying to other posts on this forum but not this one.

I have been asking for an update on this fix for over 6 weeks. Have you not had a response from the internal team on when this will be fixed? Can you request a update?

We are happy to be beta testers if this gets resolved sooner.

Thanks.

Message 27 of 43
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Karl-Man2 wrote:

Hey John,

I can see you are replying to other posts on this forum but not this one.

I have been asking for an update on this fix for over 6 weeks. Have you not had a response from the internal team on when this will be fixed? Can you request a update?

We are happy to be beta testers if this gets resolved sooner.

Thanks.

Issue has been reported to the internal team and will let you know when it is ready for testing.

Thanks

Message 28 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Another month has past, do you have any update on when this firmware update will be available for testing as we are keen to purchase more M6's if this is fixed?

Thanks.

Message 29 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Another month has past. Do you have an update on when this new firmware will be ready for testing?

Thanks.

Message 30 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Another month has past (3 months now). Do you have an update on when this new firmware will be ready for testing?

Thanks.

Message 31 of 43
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Karl-Man2 wrote:

Hey John,

Another month has past (3 months now). Do you have an update on when this new firmware will be ready for testing?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I don't think we are going to fix the issue on M2. But we will make sure the feature will be supported in new products.

Regards

Message 32 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hry John,
Any update on when the new firmware for the M6 will be available to test? We already discussed this and you stated the M2 won't be fixed but that the M6 would be. This was raised in January.
Message 33 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M6 guests are isolated on different bands

Hey John,

Thanks.

Message 34 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Thanks.

Message 35 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey John,

Its been 6 months since i raised this issue and you stated that this issue would be resolved in a future update on the M6 Nighthawk. 

Has any progress been made on this?

Thanks,

Carlos.

Message 36 of 43
Alias12
Aspirant

Yes. The Netgear Nighthawk M2 router isolates guest devices on different bands to ensure network security and prevent guests from accessing devices connected to the main network.

Certainly! By isolating guest devices on different bands, the Netgear Nighthawk M2 router creates separate virtual networks for guests, which are isolated from each other and from the main network. This isolation provides an additional layer of security, as guests won't be able to communicate directly with each other or access any resources on the primary network.

The Nighthawk M2 router achieves this isolation by employing a feature called "Guest Wi-Fi" or "Guest Network." When guests connect to the router, they are assigned to a separate network with its own unique SSID and password, often labeled as "Guest" or with a similar identifier. This network operates on a different wireless band, which means guest devices won't interfere with devices on the main network and vice versa.

Message 37 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey Alias12,

Yes i understand that if we used the Guest Wifi settings on the M2/M6 that this would be the desired result BUT we are NOT using the Guest Wifi. We are using the standard 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi settings and devices on both of the bands are unable to communicate with each other or the wired network. There is no settings to disable this. Now the idea of having a network is for all devices to communicate but these devices fail to allow this. Most people don't want isolation enabled on a router for a home device as they want all devices to see each other. 

Why hasn't thins been fixed on a new to market device after 6 months?

Message 38 of 43
chukau
Aspirant

Been reading this thread with interest since I've just encountered the same issue with a Telstra-supplied M2 after NOT seeing it since I got the thing more than a year ago.

Last week I had to reset it to factory and reconfigure after it totally lost the plot and would no longer respond to the admin login.

What I've seen since then is exactly what you are describing, the hosts on wired and wifi cannot see each other which is useless for my home network, The really weird part is that up until I had to reset the device, it was bridging wifi and wired happily with no issues.

What I would dearly like to know is what changed when I reset it, and is there some incantation by which I can get it to go back to how it was?

The follow up question if not, what is the device I should now get to replace this thing, which is guaranteed to behave how I want, which is for wired vs wifi hosts to be visible to each and accessible for file sharing, ssh and so on, on my home network,

There do not seem to be any user-serviceable configuration parameters to put the M2 to rights, but there had better be somewhere in the product range or I am getting something else.

Charles

Message 39 of 43
Karl-Man2
Tutor

Hey Charles,

Sorry but i don't have an answer for you as we have never been able to get all wifi's and LAN network to be visible on any of the M1/ M2 or even the latest M6. I have been asking for this for over 10 months and while John Peng stated in the thread back in February "Issue has been reported to the internal team and will let you know when it is ready for testing." nothing has been forth coming so i personally given up on this device and am look elsewhere. 

Message 40 of 43
chukau
Aspirant

I can't figure out why Netgear or Telstra (not sure who's actually responsible) would think this is the way the device should work. At the very least the option to configure it should be there. I see you've been promoting this idea without success for a looonnng time...

Anyway I'm now looking at getting a proper router to do the job of serving the home network with its grab bag of wired and wifi systems, and for providing DHCP. It seems to me this should be possible by using the M2 in passthrough mode. Might as well since I own it!

Anyone tried this and know of any gotchas?

Charles

Message 41 of 43
chukau
Aspirant

And I think I've figured out what changed when I reset it. Previously, there was an option to turn guest mode on or off from the web UI. This seems to have disappeared now, and it looks like the thing is in guest mode permanently.

What I believe has happened is that an update which changed this was partially completed (seems to be a thing from reading other threads) and took effect when I reset everything, very very long after it was downloaded.

Charles

Message 42 of 43
chukau
Aspirant

Hacked out to centrecom today and bought a D-link dir-2150. Put the M2 into passthrough mode and turned off DHCP. Set up the wifi SSID and password on the dlink.

Thing just worked out of the box, everything sees everything else as Nature intended, wifi, wired, whatever. Had to release all the old DHCP leases, but apart from that, no issues so far.

So there's one solution anyway.

Charles

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7