× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't connect to native Dish network

ALM_
Aspirant

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't connect to native Dish network

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400

Firmware - NTGx65_10.01.41.02

For the first five days of use, the hotspot connected to the native Dish/Genesis network. It then switched to roaming and has not been able to connect to the native Dish network in over three weeks. All trouble shooting (including a replacement sim) has failed.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Note: I have another identical set up that does connect natively to Dish.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400 won't connect to native Dish network

@ALM_ wrote:

@aiotechnv Thanks for the reply. Masking the network isn't an issue. I included that info just to try to fully describe the situation.

Not being able to connect to the native Dish network when available is the problem.

Shout out to @JohnPeng for the help in confirming it is/was not a hardware problem and for reaching out to Dish on my behalf.

Oddly, a few days ago, my other modem (that was connected natively to Dish for months) lost it's data connection when connected to Dish but insists on still connecting to the native network. I have to force it onto other networks.

I can confirm that the issue is not device related. Since the issue follows with SIM card, we had provided the related information to Dish and they are checking on their network side. I can contact Dish to see whether we can receive some updates on this issue.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@ALM_ wrote:

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6400

Firmware - NTGx65_10.01.41.02

For the first five days of use, the hotspot connected to the native Dish/Genesis network. It then switched to roaming and has not been able to connect to the native Dish network in over three weeks. All trouble shooting (including a replacement sim) has failed.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Note: I have another identical set up that does connect natively to Dish.

For Dish MR6400, we are going to release a maintenance release later this month. The issue should be resolved in the release.

The roaming to AT&T network is treated as Home by Dish, so you don't need to worry about roaming display.

In the coming MR release. you will not see roaming when the device connects to AT&T network.

Thanks

John

Message 2 of 8
ALM_
Aspirant

Hello John & thank you for the reply.

When roaming I appear to be jumping back and forth between AT&T and T-Mobile and always have a 4G connection.

The "Current Radio Band" will frequently switch and the quality of the connection varies wildly.

The display always says that I am connected to Dish 5G - but the diagnostics & data usage say I am roaming.

My other hotspot maintains an almost constant and very stable 5G connection.

If I swap the sim cards between the two hotspots I have, the issue follows the sim card (i.e. - the hotspot that was connecting to the native 5G Dish network will go into roaming and vice versa).

This is something that a firmware update may resolve or is it likely something is wrong with the way the account is setup?

I have been working with the Project Genesis support to try to determine the cause.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Message 3 of 8
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the detailed information. Since the issue follows with SIM card, it points to the SIM card setup issue. Since Dish is using AT&T and T-Mobile networks as roaming partners to extends its network coverage, the SIM cards need to be configured with proper info to support this. Better to request a new SIM card from Dish and see whether the issue goes away.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
ALM_
Aspirant

Yes - I have replaced the SIM and the problem persists.

The fact that there were no issues for the first five days has me confused as to what the problem may be.

I'll keep working with Dish to try to resolve this.

Thank you John,

Aaron

Message 5 of 8
aiotechnv
Tutor

The issue in which you see "DISH" as the carrier, even when connected to AT&T or T-Mobile, is related to the way DISH has configured their network to appear to all devices. When swapping the SIM card into my unlocked Galaxy S22 Ultra, it shows that DISH Wireless under network name, even when roaming on AT&T or T-Mobile. DISH does this so that roaming is transparent to the user. Many other carriers do this as well. As an example, when I had AT&T, if I was in an area that was covered by a rural roaming partner, it would still show that I was connected to AT&T even if I were connected to the rural carrier in the area I was visiting (Commnet Wireless). Correcting this would require DISH to reconfigure their carrier profile not to mask roaming providers with the DISH network name.

Message 6 of 8
ALM_
Aspirant

@aiotechnv Thanks for the reply. Masking the network isn't an issue. I included that info just to try to fully describe the situation.

Not being able to connect to the native Dish network when available is the problem.

Shout out to @JohnPeng for the help in confirming it is/was not a hardware problem and for reaching out to Dish on my behalf.

Oddly, a few days ago, my other modem (that was connected natively to Dish for months) lost it's data connection when connected to Dish but insists on still connecting to the native network. I have to force it onto other networks.

Message 7 of 8
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@ALM_ wrote:

I can confirm that the issue is not device related. Since the issue follows with SIM card, we had provided the related information to Dish and they are checking on their network side. I can contact Dish to see whether we can receive some updates on this issue.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7