× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR1100 with NO Sim as basic wireless router?

GracieAllen
Tutor

Nighthawk MR1100 with NO Sim as basic wireless router?

I have a Nighthawk MR1100 that was originally used for ATT.  I was one of the people that got caught in the OTR Mobile implosion so I’ve got a $400 paperweight sitting here.  In THEORY, the Nighthawk has been unlocked, but it shouldn’t matter for what I want to do. 

I’m currently using Visible, which means I cannot put a Sim directly into the Nighthawk without the risk of having Visible cancel the service.  Yes, I KNOW there are people that do it, but I don’t want to risk them doing something stupid when I’m traveling and in East Overshoe.

BUT, CAN I use the Nighthawk (without Sim) as a simple wireless router with the cell phone providing the wireless connection and the Nighthawk just providing the wireless?  Essentially the Nighthawk would act like my gl.iNet AR750 travel router with power on one connection and the cell phone providing the data on the other connection.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 6
GracieAllen
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR1100 with NO Sim as basic wireless router?

Does the lack of a response mean this CANNOT be done?  Or is it just really quiet in here?

Message 2 of 6
yhom
Aspirant

To sum, ywant a basic wifi bridge? If that's the case I understand that Data offloading is the name of this mode on the M1. I'm trying it out as we speak and I love this feature on previous 4G modems when traveling to hotels, airbnbs and all, so i have a private network that all my devices already know and connect to, plus isolating from the world (chromecast you don't want to expose to the hole hotel), and finally a good safe practical firewall.

I'm just struggling to find if there's a way to stop "no sim/apn not set" warnings once and for all, coa thta is going to bother me

Message 3 of 6
GracieAllen
Tutor

I'm not sure what the terminology would be.  What I wanted was to have the Nighthawk do what my current travel router does.  Plug in a cell phone that has an unlimited data plan, and on the phone, go into Networking>Hotspot & Tethering>USB Tethering.  The Nighthawk would then use the phone signal to provide wifi for multiple devices to connect to.  I was trying to avoid buying another $30-60 router.

I tried it, and it connected, but I never got it working, so I just bought another travel router.

I'm probably going to re-activate the Nighthawk on AT&T so I can get another 100GB on a different network than Verizon.  I've got Visible with two data phones, but over the last year Visible has gone from being good to being mostly lousy.

Message 4 of 6
yhom
Aspirant

Well, I returned the M1 and got the e750 from Gl-inet instead, too. Only downside is that this brand name is a pain to write. I used to have a small huawei and I traveled with it for years, until the battery probably got punctured or else and started to look… inflated (still works though, but I won’t take more risk). No USB tethering, no Ethernet. but i was sometimes doing wifi bridge with the phone’s wifi, and the app and UI were good and straightforward
Message 5 of 6
GracieAllen
Tutor

That's what I'm using on one of the data phones.  I've got a 750e on that one, and a 750M (the new Beryl) on the other.  The Beryl is cheaper than the 750e and is supposed to work better.  I haven't noticed any big difference but the Beryl is supposed to do things the 750e doesn't.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7