× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk MR2100 keeps ‘freezing’ - wifi connection drops out / cannot turn on the screen

Charlie2022
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR2100 keeps ‘freezing’ - wifi connection drops out / cannot turn on the screen

I have had this mobile router since December, and having constant problems with it.  Firstly we notice that the wifi signal has dropped down to almost zero (I am able to check this via my provider app - Telstra), and when this happens, it coincides with not being able to turn on the screen.

I then have to press and hold the power button for over a minute, then wait again while eventually the screen will turn on.  But even once the screen is on, none of the buttons respond as they should.  

The only way I have found to resolve this is to press and hold the power button (again for over a minute) until eventually the option of turning the power off comes up.  I also have to press and hold this button for ages before it finally switches off!  Once I turn the router back on, the wifi connection returns to normal speeds, and the screen buttons respond with a light touch, as they should.  But this is happening almost daily. Not happy. 

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR2100 keeps ‘freezing’ - wifi connection drops out / cannot turn on the screen

Please make sure you upgrade to the latest release.

FW: NTGX24_10.19.03.00_00

PRI: 05.02

Thanks

Message 2 of 9
tc__
Aspirant

I have/had the same issue with the Nighthawk MR2100 but could only restart the device by pulling the battery.  Firmware is the latest and a have done a reset which did not fix the issue.

After testing I think it is failing due to the poor signal.  I moved it to another room so it was next to a window and it now seems to be OK. I will be testing again later this week. 

Message 3 of 9
tc__
Aspirant

Test update:

Test intervals have been 1 week apart.  Unit indicating a strong signal  When left this long and the router is used as a failover internet connection:

1. it takes over a minute to failover (if at all), it used to take 5 - 10 seconds
  2. I may get 1 - 5 pings if the failover connects, pings are a better result than the main internet connection
  3. the router then reboots
  4. once active I may get 10 - 30 pings, then it locks up and the only way to have it functional is to pull the battery, ie: the on/off does not work.

The unit is no longer functional as its purpose is to provide a redundant internet connection.  It is about 15 months old.

Message 4 of 9
Charlie2022
Aspirant

I ended up getting some very good advice from Telstra about how to fix the problems I was having.  The store manager told me not to leave the battery in the unit all the time, that the unit can be used just on mains power, which reduces the risk of the battery overheating (which is probably why is was not working properly).  He recommended replacing the battery once a week to charge it but where possible to just run the nighthawk on mains power.  

This has certainly worked, I have not had a single issue with the signal dropping out or the unit ‘freezing’ since I removed the battery!

As I do travel a lot in a motorhome, I will need to use it with the battery then, so will be interesting to see what happens…. But for now I am happy 😊 

Message 5 of 9
tc__
Aspirant

Thanks for that info.

I removed the battery and tested on mains power only.  After disconnecting the WAN Ethernet cable on the main router so the internet connection would fail over to WAN2, which is the Nighthawk router, the Nighthawk locked up twice almost immediately.  The power cable was disconnected in order to reboot the device as the screen and buttons don't function when locked up.  The 3rd time an internet connection was established with the Nighthawk and operated for about 30 mins before locking up again; this is the longest it has operated since this 'lockup' problem was detected.

We had a 12 hour internet maintenance outage yesterday and 9 hours today (from the wholesale infrastructure operator - so no work around for us), so the Nighthawk is still no good as a redundant internet connection if it locks up after 30 mins.

Message 6 of 9
ulfertg
Initiate

@JohnPeng 
My device doesn’t find a new firmware through the update check of the up or the web interface.

It claims that the current FW is the latest.
Details of the device below.

How can I update the firmware?

Nighthawk M2
Hardware Version
GUI Version
MR2100-100EUS 04.02.171.00
Firmware Version
NTGX24 10.17.08.00
PRI Version
Modem Version
SDX24 10 25.00.06
Firmware Build Date
2020/08/21

Message 7 of 9
addyp95
Guide

I have the same issue but somewhat in reverse - I keep the battery out because its always plugged in, but if often freezes multiple times a day. When I leave the battery in (which isn't good for it) it stops locking up. I guess it must have bursts of power needs that the AC charger can't support on its own.

Seems these aren't particularly stable routers for anything long term

Message 8 of 9
nitsuj
Aspirant

@addyp95 I have the same issue, battery has been removed. Mine has become very unstable and loses internet connection. Possible due to the latest firmware update. I restart it and sometimes remains  stable but most of the time it drops out.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series