× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

rylos
Star

Nice script! Is it in python?

Can you mind to share it? Will be usefull until (and IF) netgear will fix this expensive "thing".

Thank you in advance

Message 101 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

@dpcheng wrote:
Although the login and password for the APN are blank, setting the APN authentication to PAP or CHAP seemed to have solved the problem of frequent disconnection and unable to reconnect.
The M5 automatically showed asterisks for the password which was blank when the setting was NONE.

Tried this, no joy..

------

rylos,

By "script", are you referring to my posted outputs 2 posts back?

It's straight C, compiled for a PI3.  It makes use of this web URL:

http://192.168.1.1/model.json

Punch that into your web browser and you'll get a rather detailed JSON dump of

the devices current state.

I could bundle the code together into a tarball if there is any interest.

Message 102 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

This might be useful  for some:

It is possible to use AT commands on the Mx series over a telnet session to port 5510. Instructions are here:

https://mt-tech.fi/en/enable-manual-band-selection-on-netgear-mr1100/

These are for an MR1100, but setup of telnet is the important part to understand.

You can get a list of supported AT commands from the command AT+CLAC

$ telnet 192.168.1.1 5510
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
AT+CLAC
AT+CLAC
&C

!gstatus

!gstatus5g

------------

AT!gstatus
at!gstatus

Current Time: 54248 Mode: Online
System Mode: LTE B30 PS State: 5GSUB6
EMM state: Registered
RRC state: Connected

PCC:
LTE band: LTE B30
LTE bw: 10 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 9820
RSSI (dBm): -76.4
RSRP (dBm): -105.5
RSRQ (dBm): -13.3
Tx Power (dBm): 22
LTE Cell ID: xxxx2709
Physical Cell ID: 94
TAC: 38417

OK

---------------

AT!gstatus5g
at!gstatus5g

Current Time: 54330
Power Mode: Online
PS State: 5GSUB6

SIGNAL INFO:
LTE RSSI (dBm): -76
LTE RSRP (dBm): -105
LTE RSRQ (dB): -14
LTE SNR (dB): 13.8

BAND INFO (Total 1 lists):

BAND LIST 1:
LTE band: 30
LTE channel: 9820
LTE bandwidth: 10 MHz

OK

Message 103 of 256
dpcheng
Star

APN or Access Point Name is a gateway between the mobile network and computer network.
Username and Password – Username and Password is used to validate the point-to-point connection between the mobile network provider and the modem (the M5 or mobile device) that is using its network.
Authentication Type – The authentication type specifies the security protocol to be used for sending your username and password to the server to establish a network connection. The supported protocols are PAP(Password Authentication Protocol) and CHAP(Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol). Incorrect values will result in failed connection and network searching.
Here are the APN settings of the more common carriers:
Verizon APN settings
APN: internet
Proxy: <Not Set>
Port: <Not Set>
Username: <Not Set>
Password: <Not Set>
Server: <Not Set>
MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MMS proxy: <Not Set>
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: Will differ in different regions, for instance 012
Authentication type: <Not Set>
APN type: <Not Set> or Internet + MMS
APN Protocol: <Default>
Bearer: <Not Set>

T-Mobile APN settings
APN: epc.tmobile.com, or fast.tmobile.com (LTE)
Server: wap.voicestream.com
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: 216.155.165.50
MMS port: <Not Set>
MNC: Will differ in different regions, for instance 260
APN Protocol: IPv4

Boost Mobile APN settings
APN: Boost_Mobile
User Name: Boost_Mobile
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com
MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 311
MNC: Will differ in different regions, for instance 870
APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
APN Protocol: <Not Set>

US Cellular APN settings
APN: internet
Username: yourMSID@uscc.net
Password: your MSID
MMSC: http://mmsc1.uscc.net/mmsc/mms
MMS proxy: blank
MNC: Will differ in different regions, for instance 120
APN Protocol: iPv4

AT&T APN Settings Name: ATT
APN: phone
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MNC: Will differ in different regions,for instance 410
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN Protocol: IPv4

Sprint APN settings
APN: cinet.spcs
Username: yourMSID@uscc.net
Password: your MSID
MMSC: http://mmsc1.uscc.net/mmsc/mms
MMS proxy: 68.28.31.7
MMS port: <Not Set>
MCC: 234
MNC: Will differ in different regions,for instance 15
APN type: <Not Set>

Virgin Mobile APN settings
APN: Sprint
MMSC: http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8080/mms?
MMS proxy: 205.239.233.136
MMS port: 81
MNC: <Not Set>
APN type: default,supl,mms

In my case, the mobile carrier is 3
Username: <Not Set> (blank)
Password: <Not Set> (blank)
Authentication: PAP
Although both username and password is blank, setting Authentication to NONE resulted in mobile network disconnection, failed dial-up reconnection and network searching.

Message 104 of 256
jrpalmer08
Aspirant

@JohnPeng  I too have this issue as stated by @kristopher_d . I was on hold with Netgear technical support for 1.5 hours and also with T mobile support. I was sent a BYOD sim card that can be used on an unlocked device and it was confirmed as such by t mobile customer service. This is NOT the issue. I currently have an open case with Netgear technical team as of 5/9/2022 and am awaiting resolution. 

Message 105 of 256
dpcheng
Star

After a period of repeated observation, it is likely that the M5 is very susceptible to radio interference which seriously affected the device's cellular and WiFi stability.
It is found that when the M5 is moved to an open area away from the busy environment or source of interference it will reconnect to the cellular service (4G, 4G+, 5G) provided the APN authentication is set correctly.
WiFi will also automatically reconnect when moved away from the interference source- IP phones, windows computers, monitors, other WiFi hotspots and routers etc.
Adding system logs to future firmware could help debug such problems.
Message 106 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

@dpcheng wrote:
After a period of repeated observation, it is likely that the M5 is very susceptible to radio interference which seriously affected the device's cellular and WiFi stability.
It is found that when the M5 is moved to an open area away from the busy environment or source of interference it will reconnect to the cellular service (4G, 4G+, 5G) provided the APN authentication is set correctly.
WiFi will also automatically reconnect when moved away from the interference source- IP phones, windows computers, monitors, other WiFi hotspots and routers etc.
Adding system logs to future firmware could help debug such problems.

Was this using internal or external antennas?

Message 107 of 256
dpcheng
Star

Using internal antennas.
Message 108 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@jrpalmer08 wrote:

@JohnPeng  I too have this issue as stated by @kristopher_d . I was on hold with Netgear technical support for 1.5 hours and also with T mobile support. I was sent a BYOD sim card that can be used on an unlocked device and it was confirmed as such by t mobile customer service. This is NOT the issue. I currently have an open case with Netgear technical team as of 5/9/2022 and am awaiting resolution. 

Could you please help to check your current plan code? You can find it on your T-Mo account as shown below.

Capture.PNG

Message 109 of 256
Peoplespace
Aspirant

We lose access to the Nighthawk M5 whenever a software update is pushed.

APN settings get deleted and go to the default one.

All other settings remain.

Message 110 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

Where do you find software updates? I've looked on the M5 website but don't see any.,...

Message 111 of 256
Peoplespace
Aspirant

When we login to the Nighthawks GUI, you can go to Firmware updates and check to see if there is a new one.

Message 112 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

Just checked, I see:

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 12-29-34 NETGEAR.png

Never have updated FW since I bought the device.  What version is loaded on you M5, if I might ask?

Message 113 of 256
gator007
Aspirant

Will not stay connected to 5G, keeps dropping back to 4G. My old M1 in 4G test around 50+ mbps. My new MR5200 with the same sim and in the same spot clocks in at 7 mbps. One of the few times I've connected to 5G it clocked in at 78 mbps. Tomorrow I wiil take it over where a 5G UC tower is and re-test. So far the unit has been very disappointing 😞
Message 114 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@steveXXX wrote:

Just checked, I see:

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 12-29-34 NETGEAR.png

Never have updated FW since I bought the device.  What version is loaded on you M5, if I might ask?

Based on the release version on your device, it is an AT&T device and already on the latest release. For AT&T device, the upgrade is hosted on AT&T server. We don't host local FW upgrade on Netgear support.

Thanks

Message 115 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@gator007 wrote:
Will not stay connected to 5G, keeps dropping back to 4G. My old M1 in 4G test around 50+ mbps. My new MR5200 with the same sim and in the same spot clocks in at 7 mbps. One of the few times I've connected to 5G it clocked in at 78 mbps. Tomorrow I wiil take it over where a 5G UC tower is and re-test. So far the unit has been very disappointing 😞

Please capture the model.json files when the device connects to LTE and 5G and send the private message to me.

Thanks

Message 116 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

This is an unbranded, unlocked, MR5200 purchased from Amazon.  Is it possible that AT&T upgraded it

behind my back?

Message 117 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry. Forgot M5 NAS SKU used the same FW release. I can confirm your device is already on the latest release.

Thanks

Message 118 of 256
gator007
Aspirant

Update:
The M5 was not the problem. Our normally reliable cell tower near our house was having data problems. I took the M5 5 miles down the road to a good tower and it was awsome. Using the M5 with my S21+ connected via wifi 6 approximately 3 feet apart the download was 605 mbps with a 91 upload speed and a ping of 71. Now if they can just get our home tower reliable again I'll be a happy camper.. Customer service told us they were upgrading equipment. Sorry I blamed the new M5 for the problem, it rocks!
Message 119 of 256
dpcheng
Star

Occasionally the M5 still fails to reconnect to the 4G+ network automatically after dropped out and when this happens the M5 web admin page will also fails to login (access denied) but can be accessed by the NetGear mobile app and showed the M5 either searching for network and or connected to a network that have no access.
Editing the APN settings by changing the Authentication from PAP to CHAP followed by SAVE and then CHAP back to PAP and then SAVE again restores the 4G+ connection. Is this a bug?
It would be nice if this toggling for reconnection could be automated in the firmware when disconnected as this simply means the M5 isn't stable enough to be used as a permanent home or office Internet hotspot replacement.
Message 120 of 256
Marko_
Guide

Model: MR5200

Model version: M5

Serial: 6B2617WF00AF1

FW version: NTGX55_12.04.12.00

FW Build date: 2021/08/19

HW version: 1.3

Modem version: MPSS.HI.2.0.c3.5-00010-SDX55_CPEALL_PACK-1.403198.3

Mobile network: DNA Finland 1Gbit 5G

Provides WAN access via a Ubiquiti ER-12

I've had this product for a year now gathering dust on the shelve, because it is practically unusable. Pings (to direct IP addresses like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8) timeout most of the times. DNS queries succeed every fourth try (or so). I've used Zyxel's product for the time being, until the battery on it was fried today and I had to take the MR5200 into use again. The MR5200 firmware had an update, so I did that hoping that the issue would have gone away, but to no avail. Attached is a screenshot of a ping made directly from my router.

Message 121 of 256
tomekf
Aspirant

I would like to say something positive about M5 this device but I can't.
Maybe except that it is quite expansive paperweight. I bought it under the influence of advertising in Poland similar to this one. Connection to the internet failed or gone. Website canot co

Netgear Support explain:
( 55m 41s ) Dan 😧 As per this link, https://kb.netgear.com/000063963/Which-mobile-carriers-are-c
( 55m 50s ) Dan 😧 https://kb.netgear.com/000063963/Which-mobile-carriers-are-compatible-with-my-NETGEAR-mobile-WiFi-or...
( 56m 2s ) Dan 😧 Orange Poland is not compatible with the device.
Any GSM operator from Poland is missing from the list. For your information, Orange PL is the biggest.

What I did:

1) The sim card works properly in other devices where there is no problem with internet connection.
2) The sim card works in the device, recognizes the network and grants quite a strong LTE connection.
3) DNS is not assigned (0: 0: 0: 0) or only temporary.
4) In the operator settings I tested and with the help of JohnPeng (Expert Netgear) in the community various settings with APN.
a) Indicated by him
b) Automatically downloaded by the device
c) Indicated on the operator's website for both IPv4 and IPv6
https://www.orange.pl/omnibook/konfiguracja-internetu-mms-sms-w-telefonie.
d) persistent frosty variations with authentication types (none, pap, chap, pap / chap) / without and without a username and password.

5) In the operator settings (network type) we tested indicating the operator both automatically and manually.
6) We tested different bands in the operator settings (ALL, ALL LTE, WCDMA and LTE + NR5G)
7) JSON log was analyzed with Expert confirmed that the router is connected to the operator's network.
😎 The DHCP / Mask settings were checked in the mobile router settings
9) Automatic and manual DNS mode was checked in the mobile router settings
a) As indicated by the operator
b) google 8: 8: 8: 8 to 8: 8: 4: 4
10) In the DHCP settings of the mobile router, default 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.99
11) We checked that the device on the WiFi network was assigned an IP address from the pool.
12) We checked the connection on various devices, mobile / laptop and operating systems.
13) We restarted the router after the changes were made.
14) We have restored the router to its factory settings many times

Any help?

Message 122 of 256
dpcheng
Star

Most likely your M5's hardware is faulty.
I must admit that the M5 is the fastest mobile hotspot I own and it really shines when it works. It's likely that the problems I mentioned in the earlier posts are all related to the occasional drop out and unable to auto reconnect without toggling the authentication in the APN settings. If this software bug is solved in the next firmware update it will be the perfect mobile hotspot device.

Message 123 of 256
tomekf
Aspirant

I do not agree.
Support in Poland is poor and do not want to take a responsibility for warranty. Once they confirm that terms but when I ask about exchange they do anything to do not take responsibility.

>I have successfully validated your proof of purchase and updated the >details of your NETGEAR product.
>
>Please find below the warranty details of your device:
>NETGEAR: Nighthawk M5 5G WiFi 6 Mobile Router (MR5200)
>Serial: 6B230CWC009C7
>Purchase Date: 05/02/2022
>Hardware Warranty End Date: 05/01/2024
>Telephone Support End Date: 07/31/2022

and

>After a secondary review of the proof of purchase that you have >provided, we will not be able to offer any warranty support.

They do not offer paid support where someone could to check this device. Software is not available for manual re-installation.
The new update is not available and no one do not have such information when it could be (form last year nothing change).

@John Peng make really great job here but in number of request and problems he ask couple of times about same issue.

There is a mass of unsatisfied customers.

Netgear Poland spends money on sponsored articles praising the device and 5G connectivity -in Poland. But his support inform that Polish network is not compatible. And we do not have any polish carriers on this list.
( 55m 50s ) Dan 😧 https://kb.netgear.com/.../Which-mobile-carriers-are...
( 56m 2s ) Dan 😧 Orange Poland is not compatible with the device.

In general it looks poor.

Message 124 of 256
pistachio
Tutor

Hi,

MR5200 in france, used with external 5G antennas, replacing another 4G modem.

The MR5200 is hooked as a modem only to a Synology 2600ac that is fallbacking on my DSL connection if the 5G/4G is lost.

When using the ethernet port , randomly (either few minutes, les ours or less frequently a day) the ethernet connection is kind of lost, it is even worth if using IP passthrough. 

USB seems a little bit more stable (but unfortunately the Synology seems to limit the bandwidth to 70/80Mbps in that case, but seems unrelated to the Netgear, as when Ethernet is working I'm reaching way higher throughput).

There is a full Thread on this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Netgear-Nighthawk-M5-MR5200-WAN-issu...

Thomas 

Message 125 of 256
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7