× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave
Reply

Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

kristopher_d
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Brand new MR5200.
Will not connect to Mobile Broadband.
Status is always "Searching for network, please wait..."
APN is correct.
Advanced Settings > Carrier says AT&T and will not change, no matter how many times I try to click/tap on T-Mobile.

 

Carrier: T-Mobile

Carrier states sim is active and 5G capable. We've even tried a new SIM

Firmware Version: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

Hardware Version: 1.0

Web App Version: MR5200-100EUS_04.02.196.00

Modem Version: MPSS.HI.2.0.c3.5-00010-SDX55_CPEALL_PACK-1.403198.3

Message 51 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!


@kristopher_d wrote:

Brand new MR5200.
Will not connect to Mobile Broadband.
Status is always "Searching for network, please wait..."
APN is correct.
Advanced Settings > Carrier says AT&T and will not change, no matter how many times I try to click/tap on T-Mobile.

 

Carrier: T-Mobile

Carrier states sim is active and 5G capable. We've even tried a new SIM

Firmware Version: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

Hardware Version: 1.0

Web App Version: MR5200-100EUS_04.02.196.00

Modem Version: MPSS.HI.2.0.c3.5-00010-SDX55_CPEALL_PACK-1.403198.3


Your issue had been investigated and confirmed that it was due to T-Mo SIM is blocked to work on MR5200. Please contact T-Mo for BYOD data plan. If your SIM card is from promotion plan tied to a certian device, you will see the issue.

 

Thanks

Message 52 of 256
kristopher_d
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

This is a patently false statement.
I have a BYOD plan.

T-Mobile has confirmed that their sim cards are not blocking the device.

Message 53 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!


@kristopher_d wrote:

This is a patently false statement.
I have a BYOD plan.

T-Mobile has confirmed that their sim cards are not blocking the device.


Please chek your online account and let us know your plan info. We can help to check whether your SIM is blocked by T-Mo or not.

 

Capture.PNG

Message 54 of 256
jslcom
Guide

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

I've had variable results swapping SIMs around with T-Mobile.  The unlocked MR5200 I purchased directly from Netgear accepted the SIM from any T-Mobile data-only device and worked fine.   While conversing with T-Mobile technical support on a different matter, I mentioned this.  The support tech told me that they have measures in place that will eventually disable the use of SIMs from certain data-only devices some period of time after they are swapped into a different device.  Specifically, I was able to use the SIM from my iPad in the MR5200, but the tech said they would eventually flag that and disable it.

 

Elsewhere, I have tried swapping the SIM from my iPad into a unlocked MR1100 (4G) and it did not work at all.

Message 55 of 256
kristopher_d
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

100GB Mobile Internet for 5G devices TE

Message 56 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!


@kristopher_d wrote:

100GB Mobile Internet for 5G devices TE


Please provide the SoC number following the descriptions. 

 

Thanks

Message 57 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!


@jslcom wrote:

I've had variable results swapping SIMs around with T-Mobile.  The unlocked MR5200 I purchased directly from Netgear accepted the SIM from any T-Mobile data-only device and worked fine.   While conversing with T-Mobile technical support on a different matter, I mentioned this.  The support tech told me that they have measures in place that will eventually disable the use of SIMs from certain data-only devices some period of time after they are swapped into a different device.  Specifically, I was able to use the SIM from my iPad in the MR5200, but the tech said they would eventually flag that and disable it.

 

Elsewhere, I have tried swapping the SIM from my iPad into a unlocked MR1100 (4G) and it did not work at all.


Thanks for commenting on this. Your experiences will help others to understand how carriers control their plans. The carrier has the capable to detect a SIM card is not used with a device the plan is tied to. Then they can disable the service accordingly.

 

Regards

 

Message 58 of 256
Audiorulz4u
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

I was able to test this device out using T-Mobile i didn't have any issues just made sure the APN was set correctly however the SIM card I used was a Voice/Data line that has the now discontinued One Plus International addon that has Unlimited Hotspot Data i have used well over 500gig a few months in a row of Hotspot data and they haven't said a word even used it in other netgear Hotspot devices and phones. While it worked for me I ended up returning the device because it did not support 5G Standalone mode.
Message 59 of 256
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Christine,

 

I just purchased the MR5200  1 week ago.  I am experiencing random dropping of my AT&T cellular connection.  I have a new AT&T 5G ulimited plan and I do not experience any issues connecting to the ISP.  The APN is configured properly, as AT&T broadband, broadband.  Connection is always strong.

 

I need the device to be on 24/7 to accomodate security cameras, NAS and a security system alerts.  I have set up the MR5200 as a VPN and IP passthrough modem, with WIFI turned off.  The units battery pack has been removed and I power it from a UPS for it to remain powered on.  It is connected to my Linksys 1900acs router which has expressvpn installed on the router so all traffic passes through the vpn.  

 

The past two days I have been experiencing random disconnects of my network to the MR5200.  It dropped the connection to my network around 3 pm on 2/18 and then again at 4 am on 2/19.  I have to turn everything off and then turn the MR5200 on, then the router, then my computer for me to re-connect everything.  The MR5200 is running the latest Netgear firmware.

 

Since I need a reliable system to work 24/7, I went back to running my Netgear LB2120 in bridge mode.  

 

I am writing my concerns to see if I have made a mistake setting up the MR5200 for my network or if the unit is not reliable as I need, to return it for Amazon refund.  I need something reliable, not intermittent like I am experiencing.

 

Thank you,

Paul

Message 60 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

ltelock.pngTry locking to 4G LTE.  I had a similar problem that appeared to be cuased by 5G coming and going, which resulted in it getting stuck in 3G.

I'm in a marginal 5G area, when 5G unlocked it reverted all the way back to 3G.  I believe the LB2120 is a 4G device?

If so, maybe you can only use 4G relilably in your area...  At least its one possible cause to investigate.

 

 

 

 

Message 61 of 256
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Stevexxx,

 

Ok, I reset the MR5200, and then set it back up.  No WIFI, no batttery, VPN & IP passthrough.  This time I changed the Band Region to LTE and NR5G.  My thought is that if the 5G network disconnects this setting should revert and pick up the LTE Bands also in my area.

 

I'll let it run overnight and see what happens.  Thank you for your answer.  Appreciate it.  I'll give it one more chance before I send it back.


Paul

Message 62 of 256
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Stevexxx

 

Steve, well after changing the Band Region settings to LTE and NR5G, and rebooting everything, it only lasted about 10 minutes before internet access dropped.  I checked the modem, and it was connected with a strong signal.  Logged into the router and the vpn was disconnected and would not reconnect.  So I went back into the MR5200 and set it to LTE ALL as you originally stated.

 

Will monitor this and let everyone know.

 

Paul

Message 63 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

I've been fighting dropouts for a few weeks, one conclusion I've come to is that ATT is stopping/starting cells fairly often in my neighborhood right now as part of the de-commishening of 3G.  Its gone bye-bye for hours at a time, and you can't even make a voice call during this time.

Hopefully this will be over soon  and I can attack my last (known) issue, which is a gradual slowdown of download speed over a period of 8 or so hours...

 

Message 64 of 256
cyberfox
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Hi, 

Is it possible to connect a USB storage device to the MR5200 for then to run a port forwarding to the device for WAN access?

- If not;

Can I connect a network storage device through the network port (RJ45) on the router and run port forwarding for WAN access? 

Message 65 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!


@cyberfox wrote:

Hi, 

Is it possible to connect a USB storage device to the MR5200 for then to run a port forwarding to the device for WAN access?

- If not; - This is not supported

Can I connect a network storage device through the network port (RJ45) on the router and run port forwarding for WAN access? 

You can connect a NAS to the RJ45 port, but I don't think you can connect back to it remotely since most of carriers doesn't support such remote access to your network after the device.


 

Message 66 of 256
AKEEL
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Hi There,

 

We purchased two 5G MR5200 model and we're experiencing a major issue of the internet traffic getting blocked when connecting the router to any Cisco switch port and squid server!

 

We tried to investigate the issue with no success, we can ping the M5 router but we can't ping or access the internet as it's getting blocked somehow. We tried 4G TP-LINK / Huawei routers and we don't face this issue at all, everything is going well. If we connect the M5 router directly to any PC it will work fine but not the other way around. 

 

We're not sure exactly what's the source of this issue  .. we hope someone can support us with a solution to this major problem.

Message 67 of 256
Retired_Member
Not applicable

MR5200 dropped connections

I continue to have problems with dropped connections on my internet data service.

I use AT&T service.  Modem is set for all LTE service until they install 5G in my area.  
This morning the network was again down. The modem was connected to one cell tower last night
which was LTE B12 band, and then this morning it had switched to another tower with LTE B14
band. Signal was strong as I use a poynting 2 x 2 mimo antenna. I am less than 5 miles away
from the towers in my area. Modem firmware is up to date. Router:  Linksys 1900acsv2 running expressvpn on the router. It seems when AT&T switches cell towers on me, my modem will stay connected, but the vpn
drops the connection and prevents my network from re-connecting.  I have to reboot both the modem
and router for the reconnection to take place.

This is unacceptable since I need communication for security systems and cameras when I am
away from this location.  The settings on the router expressvpn are set to reboot at 4 am,
however without the ability to automatically set the modem to reboot, the network will never
reconnect without a modem reboot. VPN protocol are set to automatic, wired to modem, DHCP protocol. Regardless if ExpressVPN is
set to automatically reboot at 4 am, it still locks out the modem and will not reconnect to it,
until the modem is manually rebooted. Of course netgear will blame expressvpn and expressvpn
will blame netgear and everyone will blame AT&T!
Message 68 of 256
BartMel
Tutor

Betreff: MR5200 dropped connections

Trying to use an MR5200 in a private 5G NSA NW. The device seems to attach properly, showing 5G symbol, but data throughput and latency indicate that it is only using the 4G anchor.
Anchor is on B40, 5G is n78 (3.7 to 3.8, 100 MHz).
Latest FW in use
QXDM is available to take traces if instructions can be provided.
Message 69 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Betreff: MR5200 dropped connections


@BartMel wrote:
Trying to use an MR5200 in a private 5G NSA NW. The device seems to attach properly, showing 5G symbol, but data throughput and latency indicate that it is only using the 4G anchor.
Anchor is on B40, 5G is n78 (3.7 to 3.8, 100 MHz).
Latest FW in use
QXDM is available to take traces if instructions can be provided.

QXDM will be really helpful in this case. Please capture QXDM logs with QTI default filter and start logging from device boot up until you see the the data connection is set up and %G icon is displayed.

 

We saw this issue when the 5G coverage poor in NSA mode. The network broadcast it is 5G enabled and the device is also attached to it showing the 5G capbility,  but actaully, the 5G leg is not really active. We can check on this with the QXDM logs.

 

Thanks

 

John

 

 

Message 70 of 256
BartMel
Tutor

Betreff: MR5200 dropped connections

Any special USB drivers needed to get QXDM logs?
I don't think it is an issue with signal strength as other devices connect just fine. Will try to get QXDM logs in the next days.
Is SA already supported? On the same band, we also have an SA NW active, with a different APN., but no luck to the MR to see this NW.
Message 71 of 256
Elimar
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

 My 5200 bought in March 2021 i also acting up.... Mobile Broadband disconnected and message is: Your dataconnection is disconnected.  Theres nowhere to reconnect . so can't use the MR5200


@ChristineT wrote:

Good day Nighthawk Community,

 

I'm reaching out to you today in hopes of soliciting your help. If anyone is experiencing any issues with the Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) Mobile Hotspot we want to hear from you. We have had a very small handful of reports from around the globe of issues with the following:

 

  • Issues connecting to the cellular 4G or 5G network
  • Hotspot randomly rebooting
  • Cellular/WiFi connection drops randomly

 

We are unable to replicate any of these issue but take this feedback very seriously. If you're experiencing any of these issues please feel free to post the details by replying to this topic and I'll ensure it gets passed along to our engineering team.

 

I'm looking forward to hearing from you! 

 

Kind Regards,

Christine



@ChristineT wrote:

Good day Nighthawk Community,

 

I'm reaching out to you today in hopes of soliciting your help. If anyone is experiencing any issues with the Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) Mobile Hotspot we want to hear from you. We have had a very small handful of reports from around the globe of issues with the following:

 

  • Issues connecting to the cellular 4G or 5G network
  • Hotspot randomly rebooting
  • Cellular/WiFi connection drops randomly

 

We are unable to replicate any of these issue but take this feedback very seriously. If you're experiencing any of these issues please feel free to post the details by replying to this topic and I'll ensure it gets passed along to our engineering team.

 

I'm looking forward to hearing from you! 

 

Kind Regards,

Christine




.... pls help... 

Message 72 of 256
Oldguy99
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Just unpacked and set it up just enough to get here on my Mac.

I intend on doing a lot of streaming/ OS updates/ downloads, as I have been before this device.

AT&T service

I am fumbling with the settings and I am finding the online and paper docs incomplete and misleading.

I downloaded Nighthawk app for my iPhone. It wanted me to scan the QR Code. I didn't find it.

 Soooo I went with the manual setup and it is now telling me "Router Not Supported"

 

And the same screen wanted me to download an ancient (obsolete?) Netgear app.

 

   I bought this thing to replace my wired 'net service because the next available repair appointment was a bit over a week away.

Just wondering what it will take to get comfortable with GOOD setup directions.

Message 73 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

For MR5200, you can use TouchUI to set up the device or log in to WebUI to set up the device. You can refer to QSG for a quick reference.

 

The Nighthawk App is for Netgear Nighthawk router, which is not compatible with MR5200.

 

Please check you AT&T APN is set up correct. There are 3 options.

Broadband - For LTE plan

nrbroadband - For 5G plan

There is another one for FirstNet SIM. If you need it, I can help to check.

 

Please let me know if you have any other issues. 

Thanks

Message 74 of 256
steveXXX
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

On my android I use the Netgear Mobile App with my MR5200, works great!

 

Message 75 of 256
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7