× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

townjo
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Hi @ChristineT

I have just purchased a Nighthawk #MR5200 and am trying to use the NetGear Mobile app to login the admin account.  I have entered 'admin' as the username and the password as displayed on the label under the battery. It starts authenticating then returns to the login screen again.

Any ideas?

Message 151 of 256

@townjo wrote:

I have just purchased a Nighthawk #MR5200 and am trying to use the NetGear Mobile app to login the admin account.  I have entered 'admin' as the username and the password as displayed on the label under the battery. It starts authenticating then returns to the login screen again.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Message 152 of 256
Aldonze
Guide

Not sure when this feed was started. I am from France, based in Grenoble. I purchased a MR5200 in February 2022, and since then have used a 5G / data SIM card (operator : SFR) for home WiFi. Not a single issue until… 2 days ago, August 06, 2022. Suddenly, the Damon thing does not detect any network anymore. I tested the SIM card in a smartphone and it works perfectly well. WHAT HAPPENED???
Saddest part of the story is that Netgear customer service just disregarded my request, arguing that I should not be using this type of SIM card in the MR5200 as they are not supported. WTF??? I used the card for 6 months at >450Gb/month!!!
Message 153 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Aldonze wrote:
Not sure when this feed was started. I am from France, based in Grenoble. I purchased a MR5200 in February 2022, and since then have used a 5G / data SIM card (operator : SFR) for home WiFi. Not a single issue until… 2 days ago, August 06, 2022. Suddenly, the Damon thing does not detect any network anymore. I tested the SIM card in a smartphone and it works perfectly well. WHAT HAPPENED???
Saddest part of the story is that Netgear customer service just disregarded my request, arguing that I should not be using this type of SIM card in the MR5200 as they are not supported. WTF??? I used the card for 6 months at >450Gb/month!!!

Please provide a model.json file and send a private message to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

It is possible that the carrier started blocking the service to MR5200.

Thanks

John

Message 154 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@townjo wrote:

Hi @ChristineT

Any ideas?

Please advise whether you are using IPhone? The Mobile App is not compatible with the latest iOS version. We are preparing a new iOS release and release soon.

Thanks

John

Message 155 of 256
townjo
Aspirant

Yes, an iPhone 12 Pro Max with the latest iOS version - 15.6

Message 156 of 256
JazzCatGab
Aspirant

My Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) has become effectively useless. It's unable to hold and maintain an RSRP value. When it does, it has a Network status of: 5GSUB6 (if that helps). The mobile app is unable to get a connection because the RSRP fluctuates too quickly for it to do so.

Per the suggestions on this site, I've set the 2.4 and 5 GHz to the same WiFi Name and WiFi Password; WiFi Standby to Never; and WiFi Range to Long.

Please advise of other things to try.

Firmware version: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

Firmware Build Date: 2021/08/30

Message 157 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JazzCatGab wrote:

My Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) has become effectively useless. It's unable to hold and maintain an RSRP value. When it does, it has a Network status of: 5GSUB6 (if that helps). The mobile app is unable to get a connection because the RSRP fluctuates too quickly for it to do so.

Per the suggestions on this site, I've set the 2.4 and 5 GHz to the same WiFi Name and WiFi Password; WiFi Standby to Never; and WiFi Range to Long.

Please advise of other things to try.

Firmware version: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

Firmware Build Date: 2021/08/30

Looks like you are using MR5200-100NAS.

The issue seem related to your data connection to your service provider. Could you please do a factory reset and start over again.

After that, please capture a model.json file and send it to me via private message.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 158 of 256

im having a similar issue as previously posted, but the mr5200 randomly will connect to the data service, but then is unable to again for a random amount of time... and stays in searching.  this happens with both of my sim cards from tmobile and att.  The firstnet sim will never connect, but all three will instantly connect in the mr6500.

definitely an issue with the mr5200 as all three carriers have no reason to block mine.

Message 159 of 256
eckodave
Initiate

I have the M5 and have tried 2 different carriers in Australia. I am getting a mobile network signal however no matter what I try I'm having the unit showing data disconnected. I have done a factory reset and double checked all settings. I'm about to send the modem back under warranty as I have no idea what else to try. Thanks

Message 160 of 256
dpcheng
Star

The M5 probably not detecting your access point name, APN settings, try set it manually.
For Vodafone, set
Name Vodafone Internet
APN live.vodafone.com
For Telstra, set
Name Telstra Telstra
APN telstra.iph
For Optus, set
Name: Optus Yes Internet
APN: yesinternet
Message 161 of 256

i agree with you - the fella there in aussieland should recheck his APN.  its also possible that the carriers there require the actual imei number so that the service will actually connect to the hotspot.

Message 162 of 256
eckodave
Initiate

Tried the suggested settings on both Optus and Telstra sim cards with no luck. Have done factory reset and spent about 2hrs with Telstra tech trying to work it out the other day so I think all that's left is to return it under warranty.

Message 163 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

I'm Glad to see this post!!

I literally just bought one the other day and received it! then ended up having to buy an ID Mobile sim (18/month for unlimited data), I thought I could use wifi calling and put my phone's sim card in it, but it turns out you need your sim in your phone for it to "Authorise" the Wifi Calling 🙄

I was really happy that the sim activated fairly quickly!  But... I took it home (was still working when I got home) After setting up the device for remote company working (SSID: TmacTrading Corporate (2.5 and 5G) wifi' networks) and a guest wifi network (TmacTrading Public) Also had to add the APN for iD Mobile:
name: iD
APN: id

Then I backed up the settings as I am planning upgrading my Huawie 4G router with one of these MR5200's as well.
Then I set it up as my current 4G Wifi routers configuration Everything connected up great without having to re-enter wifi details.  Then I backed that up too! so now I can quickly restore the settings to the new device when I have the funds to get the other one.

Then I decided to unplug my POE  network switch from my Huawie device and the Xpol -01 external Antenna to the Ts9 ports with addaptors I got. Everything worked great (after rebooting the switch, raspberry pi and Yealink T58A IP phone to refresh IP Addresses)

The problem is after disconnecting the External Antenna!! it no longer connects to iD Mobile!! it doesn't even see the network! It sees the 3 Network but will not connect to it even though 3 is the Parent Network that iD Mobile runs off of!

If I connect the External Antenna back to the MR5200 it connects to the iD mobile network no issues!!

I then tried the 3 Sim without the external antenna! Same issue! it will not see the 3's network but lists iD Mobiles network instead!!

Then I though let me select the 3's Apns!

3internet
three.co.uk

to no avail!

So my feedback is to allow us access to way more settings!! such as enabling or disabling the Internal / external antennas (something the Huawie B535 has)

Also it would be handy to have a DHCP Table! we have port forwarding... but it's useless without static routing or some form of ability to set reserved IP address for devices based on Mac Address.  (I will need this for when I upgrade the B535, as I my laptop and the raspberry pi on reserved IP addresses for VNC viewer/server)

Kind of pissed off that I rushed to get one and it lasted all but 5 hours and is now rendered useless as I now need possibly buy and cart round an external antenna!

Hoping it's not a hardware fault!

Message 164 of 256

Interesting post. Mine is acting like the internal antennas are off too … the moment I plug in the 2x2 mimo it magically finds the network again.

Nice post!
Message 165 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

see look! Web interface says its found the 3UK network... but my hot-spot device is configured to connect on ID Mobile...
Message 166 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

@TmacTradingLtd wrote:

The problem is after disconnecting the External Antenna!! it no longer connects to iD Mobile!! it doesn't even see the network! It sees the 3 Network but will not connect to it even though 3 is the Parent Network that iD Mobile runs off of!

If I connect the External Antenna back to the MR5200 it connects to the iD mobile network no issues!!

I then tried the 3 Sim without the external antenna! Same issue! it will not see the 3's network but lists iD Mobiles network instead!!

Then I though let me select the 3's Apns!

3internet
three.co.uk

to no avail

After doing some extensive playing around in all the settings!!! I turned on my Huawie's internal antenna (to keep it connected to 3's network - it's normally set to exclusively use the external antenna). I then plugged in the external antenna to the Netgear Nighthawk M5 and got the network connection back! I then plugged in an ethernet connection to my laptop and connected to the web page 192.168.1.1 and set the timezone manually and also set it to all bands, since the 4G signal seems to be dropping a lot with the device!

TmacTradingLtd_0-1661092741117.png

Now it seems to be connecting to the network after rebooting without the need for the external antenna to get it on the network!

It makes sense! since when I was working at a company that provided IT service to the Met Police, If your computer's clock was not correct, it would refuse your connection to the network!

It now seems to be working! It does still sometimes take a wile to connect but it's working much more reliably with the timezone set manually!

Message 167 of 256

Interesting about the time, but why would using an external antenna override the time issue,

I left mine off all night after connecting yesterday several times and it’s back to searching again.
Message 168 of 256

I can confirm that after switching to manual time nothing different happens. The hotspot is still searching.

Only plugging in an antenna will solve it.
Message 169 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Yeh it soon after disconnected after and I had to reconnect. However, touch wood it's been behaving today!! I went to a Cafe in 5G coverage and downloaded over 200GB worth of games on my Steam Library! Was getting an average of 100Mbps down on the Steam window and was playing Minecraft on a server at the same time. I checked the Steam downloads page and my downloads peaked at 152.5Mbps! My brothers Fibre connection gets about 100Mbps! So I'm glad with my choice! just wish 3 would hurry up and put masts up so I can get 5G just 2 miles away from the cafe.  I'm stuck on 4G and currently getting 3Mbps down with an external antenna on my Huawie B535 although, my 5G M5 is getting 6-7Mbps without an external antenna!  So things are looking good once the 5G roll out is complete.

I'd like to suggest another feature to be added! to select a NTP server for the Time setting!  My clock on my device an hour slow because it's not accounting for the DST. Not a major issue though.

I am keeping my device on 100% of the time for now as I fear if I switch it off or shut it down, I'll need to revive it with an external antenna

Message 170 of 256

That’s great… 12 hours on and it still is searching.

Meanwhile, the mr6500 hasn’t lost connection yet.
Message 171 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Any Updates on this Please!! I'm getting really Fed up with this now!

2 days in a row with no service for 12 hours only works with an external antenna! was able to get on with external antenna but now it seems it doesn't hold the connection after unplugging the antenna 😞

Also yesterday, I was testing it out and about and My phone is on 3's network and I had 4G and 4G+ almost the entire day (Inverness to  Ben Wyvis carpark) No signal till after the Aultguish Inn where I got H+ Until I hit the Braemore Junction where I got 4G+ and then got H+ after Ardmair (no signal on most networks from Drumrunie to Achiltibuie. Had 4G in Achiltibui on 3 on my phone which is only 4G capable.

On the Netgear device which is on ID Mobile (which are using 3's Infrastructure, Smarty also are on 3's infrastructure)
5G from Inverness to North Kessock.  4G to halfway to Tore.  H from there Dingwall roundabout then lost connection all the way after the Aultguish Inn where I had H No signal till I hit Ullapool where I got 5G After Ardmair got H up to the Drumrunie Junction then lost signal then Nothing at all at Achiltibuie.

I got back to inverness and had all but an Hour of 4G when I got home then it dropped the connection and wouldn't find the network again until I plugged in the External Antenna about half an hour ago.  I then unplugged it and the signal bar stayed on 4G with 2 bars so I connected my laptop's ethernet to the port Netgear page loads up, I opened a tab which failed to connect and sure enough network icon on the laptop showed no internet. rebooted the M5... No connection (searching) 

At the moment its nothing more than a glorified Wifi (Wifi 6, with no internet)

Message 172 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@TmacTradingLtd wrote:

Any Updates on this Please!! I'm getting really Fed up with this now!

2 days in a row with no service for 12 hours only works with an external antenna! was able to get on with external antenna but now it seems it doesn't hold the connection after unplugging the antenna 😞

Also yesterday, I was testing it out and about and My phone is on 3's network and I had 4G and 4G+ almost the entire day (Inverness to  Ben Wyvis carpark) No signal till after the Aultguish Inn where I got H+ Until I hit the Braemore Junction where I got 4G+ and then got H+ after Ardmair (no signal on most networks from Drumrunie to Achiltibuie. Had 4G in Achiltibui on 3 on my phone which is only 4G capable.

On the Netgear device which is on ID Mobile (which are using 3's Infrastructure, Smarty also are on 3's infrastructure)
5G from Inverness to North Kessock.  4G to halfway to Tore.  H from there Dingwall roundabout then lost connection all the way after the Aultguish Inn where I had H No signal till I hit Ullapool where I got 5G After Ardmair got H up to the Drumrunie Junction then lost signal then Nothing at all at Achiltibuie.

I got back to inverness and had all but an Hour of 4G when I got home then it dropped the connection and wouldn't find the network again until I plugged in the External Antenna about half an hour ago.  I then unplugged it and the signal bar stayed on 4G with 2 bars so I connected my laptop's ethernet to the port Netgear page loads up, I opened a tab which failed to connect and sure enough network icon on the laptop showed no internet. rebooted the M5... No connection (searching) 

At the moment its nothing more than a glorified Wifi (Wifi 6, with no internet)

Please advise the external antenna brand and model. 

Thanks

Message 173 of 256
MichaelDenmark
Aspirant

Hi

I have issues choosing a WI-FI channel manually. My wi-fi net, where I live is, is wery busy. So in order to get at less busy frq, I manually try to choose from the options. But my MR5200 is ALWAYS randomly choose the frq for me. If I want ch40, I will NEWER get 40. But any other channel the device chooses for me.

I can be lucky, that after 5-10 reboots I finally get my prefered channel. I spoke to support. They know about this. But they are not able to fix this bug???

Kindest regards 

Michael, Denmark

Message 174 of 256
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Thanks John. I have replied to your DM.  I don't think the issue is with the external Antenna, however I recommend using this one or the upgraded version as a workaround to get it back on the network.  Unfortunately the device is not holding the network connection after unplugging the external antenna.  Also with this not being an isolated issue, I don't think it's a hardware issue.  Something in the latest firmware has caused it to seek signals on the wrong network for the sim / apn... or is causing the device to think it's not permitted to connect to the network on the 3/4G networks...(not been able to fully test it on 5G as I can only get the 5G about 2 miles from where I live, however both times I've been in 5G areas it's worked fine).

Message 175 of 256
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7