× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Orbi RBR50 via LB2120 to ONT

Caroza
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 via LB2120 to ONT

Hi all

New here, data person who is clueless about networking, so thanks very much in advance for the assistance.

I installed fibre a few months ago and have a Nokia G-240G-E ONT configured by ISP (no access by user).  I used to use an LB2120 LTE as a failover router.  The fibre ISP requires a username and password, and for Internet Connection Mode to be set to PPPoE.  I've done this in the Orbi and it works perfectly as long as as I connect the ONT ethernet output directly to the Orbi Internet input.

However, if I daisy-chain it with the LB2120 in the middle I can't connect at all.  I suspect this is because of the Orbi setting, but I can't find anywhere on the LB2120 to configure the wireline credentials/mode, only the LTE APN.  I currently have it configured as a bridge, but changing it to router doesn't add much (DHCP config mainly).

Desired configuration is:

Orbi RBR50  -> LB2120 (with failover enabled) -> Nokia G-240G-E (ONT)

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

C

Message 1 of 3

Re: Orbi RBR50 via LB2120 to ONT

@Caroza wrote:

However, if I daisy-chain it with the LB2120 in the middle I can't connect at all.  I suspect this is because of the Orbi setting, but I can't find anywhere on the LB2120 to configure the wireline credentials/mode, only the LTE APN. 

My suspicion would be in the LB2120 rather than the Orbi.

I 'd look at the network the other way round.

Nokia G-240G-E (ONT) -> LB2120 (with failover enabled) ->  Orbi RBR50  

The downstream devices get their cues from the one in front. So the Orbi looks at the LB2120 to see how it should behave.

For example, if it sees another router, then it gets confused as to which is in charge.

I currently have it configured as a bridge, but changing it to router doesn't add much (DHCP config mainly).

Not what what the "it" is there, the LB2120 or the RBR50. Probably the former. 

What happens if you try the Orbi in AP mode?

Have you looked in the LB2120 community for help on how to set up your chain?

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Message 2 of 3
Caroza
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 via LB2120 to ONT

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the reply.  Just for background, I used to have wireless internet with a dish (I'm in a rural area).  That had an additional Mikrotik router in the chain, so:

Dish - Mikrotik - LB2120 - RBR50

Failover worked perfectly in that scenario but the ISP credentials were handled on the Mikrotik.  I didn't have the Orbi set in AP mode.

I currently have it configured as a bridge, but changing it to router doesn't add much (DHCP config mainly).

Not what what the "it" is there, the LB2120 or the RBR50. Probably the former. 

Yes - LB2120.

If I change the Orbi to AP mode, where does it get its IP from?

(Found this:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

1. Select the ADVANCED tab.
  2. Select Advanced > Router / AP Mode.
    The Router / AP Mode page displays.
  3. Select the AP Mode radio button.
    The page adjusts.
  4. Select an IP Address setting:
    • Get dynamically from existing router: The other router on the network assigns an IP address to this router while this router is in AP mode.
    • Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not recommended): Use this setting to manually assign a specific IP address to this router while it is in AP mode. Using this option effectively requires advanced network experience.

)

The other router (LB2120 in this case) is set to bridge so no DHCP.  I'll try this (after work 😉 )

I will investigate the LB2120 community as well - thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7