× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

R6300v2 and Nighthawk MR1100 port forwarding issues

Doomguy3232
Aspirant

R6300v2 and Nighthawk MR1100 port forwarding issues

i have tried everything from DMZ ( not sure if i did it right though ) to ZeroTier and have been dealing with this issue for YEARS! and now i think its the time that i finally fix it...

Message 1 of 7

Re: R6300v2 and Nighthawk MR1100 port forwarding issues

@Doomguy3232 wrote:

i have tried everything from DMZ ( not sure if i did it right though ) to ZeroTier and have been dealing with this issue for YEARS! and now i think its the time that i finally fix it...

We might need a bit more detail than that somewhat cryptic account.

Start with explaining what you want to do.

Why are you playing with port forwarding?

Then there are the usual boilerplate questions.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 7
Doomguy3232
Aspirant

well, on the nighthalk ( i will call the modem for the rest of this conversation because thats how we are basicly using it ) its connected to a switch which has my modem, router, and server connected to it all. the router is ONLY connected to the switch on the internet port and my home wiring on the second port. my server is running Jellyfin, Nextcloud, and SerXNG instances and i would like to port forward them all. the router is running on version V1.0.4.52_10.0.93, and my modem is running on version NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00. when i check for updates on the modem it will not let me, saying an error occurred and to wait for it to " auto update " im pretty sure it never has successfully done this. i have updated the router before but when i did it just broke our internet sometimes so we would have to restart our computers if it fully went out and refresh if it temporarily goes out.

i hope you can fish through this and help me... its a lot and i thank anyone including you for reading this far.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using the MR as the host router and modem, why not configure the R series router for AP mode? 

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 4 of 7
Doomguy3232
Aspirant

though i think it might work, i can no longer get access to my router admin panel and the internet light is orange. i attempted to use static IP to use my PiHole server but it would not work, i still had internet then. then i decided to just use the ISP provided settings and now i have no way to access the panel. the modem panel has all connected devices on the network shown, but without names. the names had shown up earlier.

Message 5 of 7

@Doomguy3232 wrote:

well, on the nighthalk ( i will call the modem for the rest of this conversation because thats how we are basicly using it )

The R6300v2 is not a modem. It is a router, a different animal. A router will not connect to the Internet without modem in front of it.

its connected to a switch which has my modem, router, and server connected to it all. the router is ONLY connected to the switch on the internet port and my home wiring on the second port.

Any switch has to be in the right place.

The usual order is:

Internet >> modem (not the R6300v2 ) >> router >> switch >> rest of the network

I can't tell what order you have things in.

my modem is running on version NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00.

That is not Netgear firmware. If it is the "modem" firmware, someone else made it and that confirms that your modem is not the R6300v2.

You also call this "NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00" a "modem". You can't have two modems on your network.

I suspect that your real modem, which is not the R6300v2, is really a modem router, which lands you in "double NAT" territory.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

We can simplify this discussion f you looked at the label in the "NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00" and told us the make and model number.

Message 6 of 7
Doomguy3232
Aspirant

well im calling the Nighthalk ( a Wireless Hotspot running on the AT&T band as stated in the model number in the title of the post ) my modem as stated and the Netgear R6300 my router not the other way around. the " modem " ( the Nighthalk ) is running version NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00 while the " router " ( the Netgear ) V1.0.4.52_10.0.93. I am connecting them through a network switch to echother using the internet port on the back of the " router ". everything else is connected to that switch, for istance my server, " modem ", " router ", in home lined ethernet. The WiFi is now working on the " router " but i still cannot connect to the admin panel.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7