× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Starlink to Nighthawk M5?

confused-dude
Aspirant

Starlink to Nighthawk M5?

So I have Starlink and have just installed the 12/24v Starpower module from SpaceTek.
Basically a PoE converter for the starlink.

I am trying to get the starlink to work with my NightHawk M5 though and it doesn't seem to be registering? Does the M5 accept input? Or is it only output?

I have no idea what settings to set up but I need this to work. Any ideas?

I do not have the Starlink Router at all setup.

Message 1 of 4
asprotte
Aspirant

Re: Starlink to Nighthawk M5?

Did you ever get this to work? Been trying the same thing and it's not working for me. Been trying out the offloading mode over ethernet on the M5, which works if I connect it to my home router, through ethernet. But doesn't if I hook it up to the PoE that's connected to starlink. 

Message 2 of 4
confused-dude
Aspirant

So short answer no.
The M5 cannot accept external model connections. It can only be used as a model/router for its own connection. So you can offload the M5 data elsewhere but you cannot input a WAN connection.
I ended up buying a dual WAN router and hooking up the starlink as primary and then the M5 as backup. Expensive and convoluted I know.
I wish Netgear was a little more transparent about the WAN capabilities.
Message 3 of 4
asprotte
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was afraid of. Guess I'll have to work out a similar setup. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7