× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Travel the entire US need a viable service plan

OTRTruckDriver
Aspirant

Travel the entire US need a viable service plan

As an OTR truck driver I am centrally located in Dodge City, Kansas and work for all of the major beef producers. 

On any given week I am routed to LA, Chicago, New York, Florida, Texas, all points in between, and back and forth vice versus.

My Netgear Nighthawk M1 has proven useful, however I simply can not find an unlimited service provider. Between my TV, Laptop, cellphones, GPS, and mapping software I can burn through 100 gigs in less than 2 weeks........

I am frankly considering ditching the LTE mobile route and going with Starlink. However all seem problematic in data limitations....

What providers beside AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are available that offer unlimited data plans? The Netgear devices have proven very reliable...... service providers are a completely different story.

Message 1 of 7

Re: Travel the entire US need a viable service plan

@OTRTruckDriver wrote:

What providers beside AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon are available that offer unlimited data plans? The Netgear devices have proven very reliable...... service providers are a completely different story.

A question best thrown at places where people talk about providers?

While people do turn up here from time to time asking about providers, it isn't a regular topic. Mostly, we just see complaints about particular services.

Aren't there on-line places where truck drivers hang out and discuss these things?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Your best bet might be a starlink setup. Most mobile providers I know cap even their unlimited plans. 

But mobile starlink isn't cheap. and neither is the gear. 

But you're a bit limited if you're using 200gb a month of data. I don't know of any mobile providers that supply that much

Message 3 of 7
OTRTruckDriver
Aspirant

>places where people talk about providers?

pardon my confusion..... I did click on the link which was titled "LTE"

>on-line places where truck drivers hang out

I was considering buying the M6 Pro mobile router..... I just dropped $1,700 for an Apple 15 Pro max iPhone with 1t of memory.

I'd thought that after several months of stumbling my way around the mobile LTE mobile router hotspot arena why not go to the source. If I buy the hardware, how can I use it buy choosing a provider..... 

I am delivering 42,000 lbs of food from Lineage Logistics to a regional DC..... it's the food all of you eat. Red Baron pizzas, and everything else..... If I buy the Netgear Nighthawk M6 router how do I stay in touch if I burn though data in 11 days????

Message 4 of 7

@OTRTruckDriver wrote:

>places where people talk about providers?

pardon my confusion..... I did click on the link which was titled "LTE"

>on-line places where truck drivers hang out

I was considering buying the M6 Pro mobile router..... I just dropped $1,700 for an Apple 15 Pro max iPhone with 1t of memory.

Apologies for the confusion. I didn't mean "this is the wrong place". I was thinking that there might be better sources of advice that you could also consult.

As you can see from the dearth of responses to your question, there really aren't that many people who have tackled the challenge that faces you.

Questions here are usually from users in mobile homes, or yachts, where they aren't quite as mobile as a truck driver!

Your quest also applies to just about every make and mode of mobile modem, which is another reason for widening the search.

One other thought. Our local bus and train services provide free wifi for passengers. It would be interesting to know what technology they use. If Starlink markets to them, that would be a lead to follow. In that case, as @plemans suggests, that would be worth pursuing, especially when you are looking for compatible modem/router technology.

There has been a growing trickle of messages around here about Starlink, albeit mostly from people in remote places rather than road warriors. So you should be able to pick up some ideas on how to get Netgear technology to work with the network.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – starlink

Mostly it is about connecting to housebound routers, but could be useful.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

You might check into the Calyx Institute. I haven't paid much attention to them but they used to exploit a old loop hole from mobile that they were required to provide unlimited data to non-profit organizations. So they started a business for phone/hotspots that exploit that. The only bad part is you have to pay for a year of service at a time and there's different levels of membership. Might be worth checking into 

https://calyxinstitute.org/

Message 6 of 7
OTRTruckDriver
Aspirant

I drive a 2024 Peterbilt 579. My range with a diesel fuel fill-up is roughly 1,562 miles.
Often in un-interrupted travel I cover at best 650 to 730 miles a day.
Using the mobile app “TruckerPath” all of my trip planning is covered, along with a Garmin 1010.
I use 100gb of data in about 12 to 15 days of a 30 day plan. Often my transmission speeds even at the most populous American cities is less than 1mg down as per testmy.net with AT&T mobile hotspot.

Overall since posting this question directly to the NetGear forums wifi service has been problematic.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7