× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

m1 nighthawk MR1100 100NAS is getting hot and I keep losing internet connection

Jo1936
Aspirant

m1 nighthawk MR1100 100NAS is getting hot and I keep losing internet connection

I'm having issues with my router losing connection with internet every few minutes, I noticed that the router temp was hot 72C and was wondering if that would cause my issues. Is it normal for router to reach these temps.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: m1 nighthawk MR1100 100NAS is getting hot and I keep losing internet connection

you might get more help in the mobile routers forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

have you tried setting it on a fan to test if its a heat issue?

Message 2 of 8
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: m1 nighthawk MR1100 100NAS is getting hot and I keep losing internet connection

@Jo1936 wrote:

I'm having issues with my router losing connection with internet every few minutes, I noticed that the router temp was hot 72C and was wondering if that would cause my issues. Is it normal for router to reach these temps.

It is not normal to reach that high temp. The connection will drop for sure in this temp.

How did it make it so hot?

What is the ambient temp?

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
Jo1936
Aspirant

The ambient temp is normally 78 degrees, right now my router is 55C I have no battery in, run router with the charger that came with the router. I have a Linksys Max-Stream AC4000 MU-MIMO TRI-BAND Router connected to my M1 Nighthawk MR1100 100NAS router.

At times router temp just jumps up to temps in the 70C.

I have no idea why it gets hot.

Message 4 of 8
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Your setup may contribute to higher temperature on the device. Ethernet port requires hight power to drive it. Since you connect the Ethernet port to your router, ethernet port will keep on and drive the device temp up if traffice is heavy.

Message 5 of 8
Jo1936
Aspirant

So is this harmful to my router? According to spec's the router is made to connect to another router. Wouldn't this be covered under the warranty if it fails?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Does it stay stable if you put a fan on it? 

Message 7 of 8
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The device is designd to limit the temp to certian level without hurting the user and damaging the device. The connection drop is the one of the steps to reduce the temp on the device.

Thanks

John

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7