× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: roll back firmware update m2100

thingamajig
Tutor

roll back firmware update m2100

NETGEAR MR AND ZTE MODEM USEAGE COMPARED-edit.jpgM.HOME USING 2.7 MB CONT......jpghi all, is there some way i or someone else can roll back the firmware to original version.my problem is the modem is now using lots of data since updated.i had this problem/fault 23 months ago after firmware update but got the modem replaced , which fixed the problem. a couple of weeks ago my loving daughter decided to update the firmware on this replacement modem [unbeknown to me] and this problem has arisen again. i have tried resetting modem, looked for previous downloads etc .i have an app called glasswire which shows what is using data . m.home is the "thing" running ,using most of my data . i tried a friends modem and there is no problem, ie no m.home running. thanks for any suggestions on fixing this problem...dennis edit, tried posting screenshot

Model: MR2100|Mobiler Router Nighthawk M2
Message 1 of 10

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but your mobile router is not like the bog standard router so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 10
thingamajig
Tutor

thank you, i am happy for a mod to do that. i did search support for an earlier version of firmware download , but none for my model i could find

Message 3 of 10

What did you search for?

There is no "m2100". (See your subject.)

Search - NETGEAR Communities – MR2100 firmware

Message 4 of 10
thingamajig
Tutor

sorry that is a typo , i searched for previous /prior versions of mr2100 firmware

Message 5 of 10
thingamajig
Tutor

First I am sorry for bumping this thread , but I just wanted to give an update on my problem . I have googled and tried turning off every option in modem interface ( m.home) aka , trial by elimination , which led me by accident to find a poor solution to the problem which is. Start PC use wifi to connect , then restart modem , this way there will be no M.home running . If I connect via lead there will be 2 M.homes , sometimes 3 running using twice as much data. If , using wifi and I don't restart modem , there will only be 1 M.home using 64 KB continuously .
Strange days indeed. I have tried anti malware and anti virus and have had computer " expert " look at it . As stated, this only happens with the MR2100 no other modem . In summing up,
FOR SALE , 1 Netgear MR2100 modem , comes preloaded with complimentary spyware ...
Here is a couple of links showing/ explaining more detail. You might have to right click to open image so my text is readable http://imgur.com/a/fwjOqsu.
http://imgur.com/a/nOpOq37.
http://imgur.com/gqEFTwD
Thanks ..Dennis.....
Message 6 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

What is the issue here? I think you are using Telstra MR2100.

When you use the device, the data will go through your device. m.home is the interface for the data link. All the data used on your M2 will be shown passing through m.home. So I think this is expected.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
thingamajig
Tutor

The issue is, it is only M.home using this data , apart from a few lbs of data from other processes and of course me, if I open a browser .If you opened my links you will see this .yes it is Telstra / Netgear modem .Who writes the firmware updates? .this only happened since firmware update ( see first post ) If you look back at my first thread 2 years ago you will see I had exactly the same issue . Arodi , from net gear replaced it and this fixed the issue , until ( see first post). I am not asking for a replacement , just some sort of solution . I see on Netgear support page they offer earlier versions of firmware updates for some devices , surely there is some way to uninstall this update , or some other fix . Other people who have installed this update have probably not noticed an increase in their data usage as they probably have mega GB plans but I do notice 10 or so GB going to M.home , out of my 20GB monthly plan . If this data is just being used by the interface , why is it metered , I don't have to press a key , except open glassware app to see what is using my data. As I have stated , this does not happen with other modems or if I restart this ( MR2100) modem , how do you explain that, or if I connect via ethernet lead it uses twice the data . If you look at the graphs I linked to you will see this. ( You have to right click and open image for clear view ). I suggest you read and look at my issue before asking
"what is the issue " , but thank you for your reply anyway.. Dennis.
Message 8 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The device itself doesn't use many data. It just check for Telstra data usage and new FW upgrade periodically.

You can disconnect all the clients to the device and wait for an hour to see whether your data usage increase. It should be easy to check on Telstra data usage meter.

Thanks

John

Message 9 of 10
thingamajig
Tutor

Thanks John , I know the device does not use data itself, but the m.home interface does continually , until I restart modem. Then stops using data , except , as you said , a little bit for updating the usage meter on the modem . I upgraded to a larger plan and have been using old modem for two weeks and switched back to mr2100 today to compare usage over the month . My problem now , is it starts up , but just sits there saying ," detecting service " . Another problem to sort out . Bit more googling . Another thread maybe...
Thanks ...Dennis..
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7