Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bypassing Circle for parental controls

CofG
Initiate

Bypassing Circle for parental controls

I would like to set bedtime limits through my router, but the Orbi RBR50's parental controls are through Circle.  I've used Circle in the past and it's no good - glitchy and slow bandwidth. And apparently now Circle can't recognize any of my Apple devices unless I install software on each device. In other words, Apple devices show up as "unknown device"; therefore, I don't know which device to select for monitoring and shutting down.

I am fully aware that I can see all my devices on the Orbi network through the Orbi app. Plus, I can turn wifi off and on through the Orbi app for individual devices. There just isn't an option for bedtime limits through the Orbi app alone.

Is there a way to bypass Circle and control bedtime limits through the Orbi router alone?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Bypassing Circle for parental controls

Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@CofG wrote:

Is there a way to bypass Circle and control bedtime limits through the Orbi router alone?

There is a feature in the Advanced Tab->Security menu called "Block Services".  There was a post a few weeks ago by a parent who found it to be "brain dead" compared to Circle. In Block Services, one or more IP's can be selected and set to block on a schedule, which is set up with the menu "Schedule".  My memory is a bit vague, but the sense I got was that the "schedule" must be within one "day". He wanted to start blocking late at night and then unblock the next morning, but the device did not unblock.  i.e. start blocking at 8pm and quit blocking at 11pm would work, but start blocking at 10pm and quit at 6AM would not.  ("start", then "stop" in the same day works, but "overnight" did not).

If the point is to encourage kids to go to sleep at bedtime, then perhaps blocking from bedtime until 11:55pm would be sufficient.

This would be easy to test.  Pick some device and block it for 30 minutes duriing the day and see if it unblocks on schedule.

But, what about kids changing MAC addresses and getting another IP?  Simple, just block every IP that has not been assigned to a device.

Is this better than hauling out the smartphone at bedtime and "Pausing" some devices, then turning them back on when YOU go to bed?

Message 3 of 4
CofG
Initiate

Appreciate the lead on this @CrimpOn   Will definitely look for the post and try this out.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7