Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle 1st Gen doesn´t work after upgrade router firmware

jnarino
Tutor

Circle 1st Gen doesn´t work after upgrade router firmware

I have RBR50 router+satelite. Before the router upgrade firmware to 2.7.3.22, Circle 1st Gen worked fine, but now, after upgrade Circle app acting like I don't have a premium subscription, which I do. Cancelling and re-purchasing the subscription multiple times did not solve the problem.)  I've been trying everything I could think of -- resetting the Circle 1st Gen app, re-installing it, cancelling and re-purchasing the subscription sooo many times and nothing was working.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to NG support about this and get help. Hopefully something minor. 

Message 2 of 16
superoloan
Aspirant

I Have the same problem. So I decided to downgrade to FW2.6.xx, the circle is back to normal. but then orbi keeps updating it's firmware the day after.

how do i keep orbi from updating to it's latest firmware?

telnet-ing doesn't work

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to NG support about this and get help. Hopefully something minor. 

@superoloan wrote:

I Have the same problem. So I decided to downgrade to FW2.6.xx, the circle is back to normal. but then orbi keeps updating it's firmware the day after.

how do i keep orbi from updating to it's latest firmware?

telnet-ing doesn't work

Message 4 of 16
superoloan
Aspirant

reaching out to NG means I have to pay right? I would rather buy cheaper router with "some parental control"

this really upsets me. the even wrote "improvement on parental controls" on their release notes for V2.7.xx

don't get me wrong, i really like my orbi. it has stable connection throughout my whole house - I have 2 satellites. but without any parental controls, it's a dangerous tool

Message 5 of 16
HyperCopy
Initiate

Have the same problem. Netgear's "Upgrade" ended up bricking my parental controls. (I.e. none available - and even when I manage to get to the hidden "parental control" page, enabling it there doesn't work anymore.) Not happy with kids having full access to all areas of the internet over the weekend.
So, since I have bought this a long time ago, Netgear thinks it's OK not to provide support when they are bricking my purchased product with their new "upgrade"? Thanks.
What's today's good mesh router? Thinking I need to stay away from Netgear.

Message 6 of 16
ellen2298
Apprentice

Did anyone get this resolved? Not sure why but my RBR50 just updated to the 2.7 version and circle no longer works. I can't even seem to find it on the orbi app but only the smart parental control premium is there and forget getting the circle app to work. It just keeps saying it cant pair to it/not available on my router. Anyone have insight? 

Message 7 of 16
jnarino
Tutor

I have the same issue form more than 3 months, no have solutions from Netgears, and I have suscription payed, it´s horrible the Netgear support, poor and they no have responsability for us.

Message 8 of 16
ellen2298
Apprentice

I gave up on Circle due to so many issues people now having with the firmware update. I tried the Netgear Smart Parental Control Premium and it seemed to work well so I purchased it and now it no longer works. Trying to get support now to fix this issue but so far not having much luck. This is much more difficult than it needs to be but hoping I will get resolution. Good luck to us both!

Message 9 of 16
jnarino
Tutor

Team,

the firmware always updating automatically, and not need it´s happen because the Control Parental leave to work with the 7.3 firmware version. I need keep the router firmware version in 2.6.1.40.

Don´t see option to set manual updating, please your help.

Regards

Message 10 of 16
Brettmcm
Apprentice

Wait ... so if I want parental controls I have to PAY FOR ANOTHER ADDITIONAL SUBCRIPSTION ON TOP OF THE ARMOR SUBSCRIPTION I ALREADY PAY FOR?!?!?! 

Please tell me this is wrong! I am really starting to hate Netgear. WTF they nickle and $20 you to death with montly subcription fees. I had no idea they were like this. I never would've bought their product had I known you have to pay a subcription fee to use options on the device YOU OWN AND YOU PAID FOR. I feel totally scammed by this company. Can you imagine spending top dollar to get an iphone only to find out "well if you want to use the camera that's a montly subscription fee", WHAT?!?! They are fast becoming one of the worst experiences I've ever had 

Message 11 of 16
jnarino
Tutor

yes sr, idem, i have the same case, I have paid for subscriptions and the service still does not work, HORRIBLE service, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT ...

Message 12 of 16
Brettmcm
Apprentice

So you paid specifically for the parental control and it doesn't work or like me, you paid for the Armor subscription only to learn that they stopped including the parental controls because it was too hard to mange, and right afterwards they offered it as another seperate pay to use subscription? That's just disgusts me that a company would nickle and dime customers into multiple paid subscriptions for stuff that's free eveywhere else, shocking even. Enjoy what you've sucked out of me so far, cause I'll never spend my money to get put into this situation ever again. It really pis$@# me off 

Message 13 of 16
superoloan
Aspirant

it won't work even if you pay for subs. the circle is completely gone from the router
Message 14 of 16
Brettmcm
Apprentice

Why would they do that? 

Message 15 of 16
ellen2298
Apprentice

Just for an update on my previous post on this thread. After hours of time waiting for support, in order for me to get the Netgear Smart Parental Control to work, I had to first do a configuration backup of my settings as it was customized, then did a soft factory reset of my router RBR50  through the web page, then  I had to install my backup of config settings. I did this all through the computer web connection, not the orbi app. I also then deleted the Orbi app and then reinstalled. Logged in and then activated the Netgear SPC. After setting up the profiles, it is now working. I actually like it better than Circle which I had been using for almost 2 years.

Recommendations that I learned the hard way assuming you know that you need the premium level features include:

1. Buy the premium immediately when you activate the trial because they give you 50% off the $69.99 for the year ( long story but it changes quickly to 30% off the yearly price within a couple of days even thought Netgear site advertising still 50% off)

2. Once you buy the premium, it may stop working because of a weird glitch. Rather than wasting all the time I did trying to figure out why it no longer worked after it worked during the trial, assuming it doesn't immediately work for you, do the config backup and the soft factory reset from the web connection as I described above and install and it should work for you-DONT INSTALL THE SPC BEFORE THE CONFIG BACK UP RESTORE OR YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN like I did. Changing the config backup after the SPC is installed glitched it again and I had to do the whole process all over again.

3. If you had trouble like I did getting the satellites to connect again, start immediately with connecting them wired first, then once connected/set up, unplug the ethernet to satellite and do sync wirelessly near your router. Once done then move to the correct location in your home

4. Don't waste any time trying to go back to the 2.6... version of the firmware just to get back Circle. Soon enough you will be automatically updated to the 2.7 version and lose Circle and back to square one. The Netgear SPC seems to work just as well and I like that it is within the Orbi app and not a separate one.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!! Hours of waiting on the phone just to reach support nearly killed me. I agree with the other posters here that there is way more complication for this than is necessary and a lot of nickel and diming after a forced firmware update. That said, I love the speed I have with my  RBK53 with piggy backed RBK753 for increased home coverage that I have. That said, if I am feeling brave, now that the RBK753 is supposed to have the SPC, I may switch my configurations since it is the better system but I am burnt out after this entire experience. I couldn't make it my primary system when I bought it since at the time it had no parental controls.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7