Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle Continually loses connection/settings Orbi

mcornell
Aspirant

Circle Continually loses connection/settings Orbi

We have been using the Disney Circle product enabled in the RBR50.  We have noticed the following behavior

• Circle loses its connection
  • Once it resestablishes connection, all settings are purged

Yes, it is possible to back up the settings on your phone or tablet and then reload the settings, but when you do that all time limits are also reset.

This has been happening on a daily basis. It's not effective as a parental control device, and there's no way to view any circle logs to see what the problem actually is with the connection.  What administrative steps can I take to resolve this?  Why would I trust any of the other paid services (like Armor), if this service cannot work for more than 8 hours in a row?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 49
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Circle Continually loses connection/settings Orbi

Hi @mcornell, welcome to the community! I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 49
Kraftjc
Aspirant

I am having the same problem. Did you get resolution?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 49
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kraftjc, welcome to the community! May I know what steps you've tried so far? Also, please make sure that your Orbi is on the latest firmware version.

Dexter

Message 4 of 49
mcornell
Aspirant

I haven't been away from my Orbi for a week and a half, however, before I left, a contact with Circle suggested that I needed to move any and all smart home devices to an unmanaged setting. This is different from leaving them in the default Home setting.  

This will get put to the test over the next few days and weekend to see if this has an impact.

Message 5 of 49
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mcornell, thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.

Dexter

Message 6 of 49
Kraftjc
Aspirant

I just recently updated the firmware on the Orbi, we will see if this helps.  The only smarthome device I have is a ring spotlight camera.  I will change that to unmanaged.Thanks and I'll keep you posted.     

Message 7 of 49
Fmag69
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. Very annoying.
Message 8 of 49
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Fmag69, welcome to the community! Were you able to try the suggested steps posted above? And what other steps have you tried so far?

Dexter

Message 9 of 49
Fmag69
Aspirant

Yes, I kmoved everything to unmanaged last night. This morning the Circle was not connected again.

Message 10 of 49
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Fmag69, please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 11 of 49
Fmag69
Aspirant

Can anyone help me with this?? I was supposed to get a call from tech support, but they just never called. Not very good support.

Message 12 of 49
Fiveiron
Tutor

Same issue here. Every day or two in the middle of the night, I will lose internet connectivity on all my devices. I wake up and my phone shows the wifi icon with an x through it. I'm still connected to WiFi but no internet. When I had Circle disabled for over a month, no issues at all. The day I turned it back on, the issue came back.
Message 13 of 49
RFamily
Aspirant

We have experienced the same issue with our RBR40 Orbi Router. The Circle loses connection and then the settings are purged. This happens every day. We just updated the Orbi App. We are running on the latest version according to the app and the router, v2.3.5.30. We are paying for the premium services each month and would like to know when this will be resolved.
Message 14 of 49
knuddr
Aspirant

Experiencing the same problems with my router. Works great 100% of the time when Circle is disabled. Once enabled, periodically dies for Wifi clients, I believe my wired connection still works. Firmware: V2.3.5.26

Physically resetting the router seems to get me back in a good place for a little while

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 49
Jpetrarca4
Aspirant

Same issues here. I would love to use circle but I lose connection every night and have to manually reset the router once a night. If I disable circle it works fine.
Message 16 of 49
boneed
Aspirant

Hey, i have the RBR40, not 50, but there is no option for the 40, so i took the closest one.

My problem is the same as the others here, all my wifi-connected devices looses the internet connection like everyday when disney circle is activated, and i have to physically restart the router to have it work again. No problems when circle is disabled. I turned this off months ago, but now we really need to regulate the kids accessability to internet, and would like to have this thing working.

Did anyone got a resolution for this yet? Or are we f**ked?

Did anyone tried any other software instead of circle with success?

/E

Message 17 of 49
wjohnson
Aspirant

Hello @DexterJB 

Help please!

For the past 3 weeks or so, my Disney Circle has been disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet with no seeming corelation with the orbi router losing internet. The Circle App sends me a phone noticifation that:

"Circle has lost its internet connection. There may be an issue with your home network".

Then a few minutes to a few hours later, I get another notification saying:

"Your Cirlce is back online!"

This happens an average of 8 times a day! While the Circle has lost it's internet connection, the Orbi is still serving wireless internet to all other devices just fine. I am not sure what the issue is here but it has pretty much:

1. Rendered Circle functionality useless as it can never stay connected long enough to perform its Parental Control duties

2. Disrupts my days and nights with persistent connection failures and reconnection notifications. 

How can I troubleshoot and correct this issue?

Circle App version: 2.1.6 (559)

Circle Firmware: 2.0.8.9

Router: Orbi RBR50

Router Firmware: V2.3.5.30

Message 18 of 49
bakerjdr
Aspirant

I have a similar issue.  The ORBI Circle sends my phone a message that it has lost internet.  Then a few minutes to hours later it has reconnected to internet

Firmware V2.3.5.30

Message 19 of 49
Rcase13
Initiate

It is clear at this point that no solution will be found for this issue. Almost a year has gone by with no help or even acknowledgement of the issue. Instead of troubleshooting I think this would be a good place to discuss alternative products. Has any one tried other products that have similar functionality? If so please share your experience.
Message 20 of 49
benplayle
Tutor

I'm new to Circle, but also having this problem.  

Virtually every time I go to open the Circle app, it is has forgotten all its settings, reverting to the page saying: 'Congratulations!  You're all done creating your Circle account.  Next you'll choose which Circle subscription you'd like.'  

A sure fire way to make it forget its settings is to turn my iPhone or iPad off and back on, but it also happens more frequently and randomly than that.  

This obviously completely defeats the purpose of the app.  I'm only using the basic Circle subscription for now, and can't say I'm attracted to paying for a premium subscription unless this problem is solved.  

My RBR50 firmware is completely up-to-date, as are the iOS and iPadOS on my devices, and the Orbi and Circle apps.

I see that a Netgear moderator has privately e-mailed some other people posting about this problem.  I'm hoping that you may also be able to e-mail me with some advice.  Thanks.

Message 21 of 49

I have been going merrily along, my Orbi RBR50 working perfectly fine for a couple of years. I updated, two days ago, to the latest firmware AND added Circ le, and picked up a subscription. With the Circle enabled, the WiFi works just fine, but then out of the clear blue, it drops everything from WiFi, except a single FireTV. Wierd. Everything else gets the quarter-circle with the dreaded X. I first checked my modem. Logged in, checked Internet connectivity. No problem. Then logged in and checked the Orbi, and Internet connected. No problem. But nothing would receive WiFi. So, I turned off the Circle Parental Control and BOOM! Everything works. 

This really sucks. I had wanted to use this. I have a kid about to turn double digits and well... they get really curious at this age. I like the Circle app, but this is intolerable. I hope someone from Netgear resolved this. If not, I guess I will need to use something else. 

Message 22 of 49
Fiveiron
Tutor

Forget it, I tried for months to get help from Netgear and they finally just blew me off. i threatened to contact the BBB, nothing. Netgear is complete garbage.
Message 23 of 49
herman2p
Aspirant

I am experincing the same issue and like the performace of the system so far, but I am about to return because when I turn on circle the sytem loses the internet connection for wired and wireless connections 2 to 3 times a day.  Also, I noticed that Orbi provides wifi to certain devices but does not list them in the connected devices catagory, which make turning off the internet at night for kids impossible even without Circle.

Message 24 of 49
VKreugel
Initiate

I have been having the same problem. I have “enabled” Circle Parental Control both on my app (by moving the switch) and on the webbrowser and still every morning I get a message from Circle connection has been lost. So bedtime does not run (as time of loss of connections is mostly an hour to half an hour before bedtime is due).

It is very annoying, as one of the reasons I bought Orbi was to be able to program to switch off WiFi for my kids’ devices...

Any solution?
Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7