Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle / Ethernet issues

mlclark013
Aspirant

Circle / Ethernet issues

Orbi RBF40 and Circle 1st Gen (paid) issues
I’m using the above configuration trying to manage chrome books used by my kids for school, but the experience is frustrating. We moved the chrome books to Ethernet connections for more stability a month or so ago and it has made the circle tracking and feature uses sporradic at best. For example I’ve set one device to have no internet access from 3pm to 8:00pm (off time) and 8:00pm to 8:00am (bedtime). After seeing my child on it last evening I’ve tested it myself and it has full internet access during this period. I also notice long delays in updating history, it’s not uncommon to see no history since yesterday even at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and a whole day of usage.

Can anyone please suggest a solution?
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Circle / Ethernet issues

Hello mlclark013, 

I would recommend checking to see if your Orbi unit is due for a firmware update. You may also try the suggested steps in the articles linked below. 

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002154491-Troubleshooting-common-Circle-issues

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
mlclark013
Aspirant

Re: Circle / Ethernet issues

Hi Christian,

My device firmware is up to date.

I think I found the problem, though further testing is required. I’m annoyed to have missed it but hopefully this helps someone else.

What I found is circle tracks Ethernet and WiFi as multiple devices based on MAC address. This makes sense, I just missed it. Tracking down the ‘second device’ was harder because it was named after the Ethernet hardware not ‘intel device’ etc. However after seeing that on another known, named device I was able to check a number of options until I found one that matches the Ethernet MAC address. I now have two devices assigned to this child, one for Ethernet and one for wireless representing the same laptop. I see history starting to flow and options like bedtime are now working. Will monitor and update as needed but I am hopeful this is resolved.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7