Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle Netgear on Orbi RBK50 Lost its internet connection

pbittle
Tutor

Circle Netgear on Orbi RBK50 Lost its internet connection

I am frequently getting the "Circle lost its Internet connection", yet all the devices on the network are still just chugging along just fine with no interruption to what they're doing. It will often happen in the middle of the night when nobody is on the internet. Other times I get the message that Circle has reconnected to the internet, without having received any notice that it hadn't been connected. 

I want to rely on this for our family's internet safety and security, but I'm concerned that it's not well implemented. Especially considering the Circle guys basically disavow this when they find it's the Netgear implementation.

Another issue I'm seeing is with my daughter's continuous glucose monitor dropping from the internet. I've set all of the IP addresses and URLs that Dexcom uses and reports as being used as "unmanaged" so to keep an open connection all the time. However, it will just spontaneously drop, and the Dexcom support folks say they aren't seeing the connection, so it must be interrupted on our end; which I tend to agree with, considering the above. 

My question is whether I need to just dump Circle as built in to the router and buy the device, or stick with the router's version of it. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pbittle, welcome to the community! I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 8
carimina
Tutor

I have this same issue all the time. I receive a notification that Circle has gone offline but everyone can still access the internet. I upgraded the firmware on the Orbi and I even started my Circle setup all over from scratch (which is annoying because everyone and everything that ever had access to my Wifi, it notifies me that they have joined again). The other responses I read say to disable it all together but I like how it works and I pay for the premium portion of it to manage Circle Go. Is there a known fix for this anywhere?

Message 3 of 8
espcar
Star

I have simular issues that I posted about here.

Not completely done with the debugging yet, but after disabling Circle, my random blockings stopped.

I'm writing blockings and not disconnects, as only the devices on my network are unable to reach internet, but they can still reach the router and the router can reach internet (typically pinging the google DNS servers or my ISP GW).

It was suggested to continue the discussion here, as you guys probably are more familiar with the Circle software.

What I can say is that after disabling Circle, I haven't had any DC/Blocks for almost 2 days.

I usually seen at least one pr. day.

As I have opened telnet on the RBK, what are the steps I need to do to help gather more information to help solve the issue?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
carimina
Tutor

I don't know that any blocking is happening on my side. Nothing seems to be different when that notification comes so I feel like it is invalid and Circle is still connected

Message 5 of 8
pbittle
Tutor

I understand. We bought this Orbi system because we were having the same sort of problems with a Nighthawk X6. I thought it might just be getting tired. But $300 later, it's as bad, if not worse, but with better wifi coverage across the house. Smiley Wink

My wife is starting an online Master's program and was having weird issues on her laptop. Turns out Circle was kind of half blocking things like some images, but not all, even within the same discussion thread and web site. Once I changed her device assignment to "Unmanaged" all those issues went away. Obviously, that is not an option for my daughter's phone.

A co-worker who now uses the Circle app on his Orbi, at my recommendation, says he gets the same odd disconnect/reconnect message, but sees no real effect on his or his family's internet access. 

I realize that part of the message has to do with whether the Circle application in the Orbi can "phone home" or not, but that should be a different message. Nonetheless, it is also blocking things without any sort of indication that it is, nor even in its logs. 

OK, one last weird behavior we've seen, is that if YouTube "restricted mode" is engaged you can't access any YouTube channels, and just random videos don't work. My wife will sometimes  watch makeup tutorials, and the channel access, and some individual videos will not appear until we turn the restricted mode off for YouTube. 

With all this having been said, however, Circle is still the best system I've used so far! I've tried Norton, Kaspersky, and several others over the last while, all of them fell far short of Circle's ability, either over-restrictive or under. What they're trying to do is hit a moving target, at best, and they do a pretty good job overall!

Message 6 of 8
pbittle
Tutor

Dexter,

I have sent a reply via private message. 

Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
dbenton
Aspirant

I get the same alert, "circle lost its internet", intermittentently. We're often actively using the interenet when I get it. The status on the Orbi admin UI shows no disconnect. Has anyone solved this annoyance? It also make m ewonder if there's more problems with Circle running on the Orbi router.

Firmware V2.3.5.30

Thanks for any assistance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7