Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle breaks some SSL sites

stevenhar
Aspirant

Circle breaks some SSL sites

So we have Circle enabled any even on devices associated with an unfiltered profile some sites fail to load, typically timeout.

Examples of such sites:

Tried switched the device to unmanaged, still fails, only disabling Circle totally fixes the problem.

Originally tested on V2.5.0.30 but also the same on V2.5.0.38

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 13
stevenhar
Aspirant

This seems like it was also reported here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Sites-inaccessible-because-of-Circle-since-last-firmware/td-p/...

For some reason there's no reply option to that thread 😞

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with a forum moderator and hopefully they can help you out.

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 13
stevenhar
Aspirant

Thanks have done that.

Some more information is that wireshark shows the initial connection being establised but then stalling, see attached image.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Any built in router here by chance? Just checking. 

I presume if Circle is disabled entirely you don't have any problems getting to these web sites? 

Message 6 of 13
stevenhar
Aspirant

No external router, just BT EchoLife HG612, Orbi router is doing the connection termination.

You are correct in that disabling Circle everything works fine, neither selecting unfiltered on the user profile or unmanaged on the device allow the sites to work.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this is a Circle issue. Hopefully a forum moderator and help. 

Message 8 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @stevenhar, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 9 of 13
stevenhar
Aspirant

Working with netgear support on this one now, no breakthroughs yet.

Things tried:

• Circle reset to factory defaults
  • Router reset to factory defaults

I did just discover something interesting the effected sites all see to be xxx.zendesk.com under the hood and they actually resolve to the same IP here 104.16.54.111 which doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Message 10 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm seeing the same issue since I upgrade firmware on my Orbi to version 2.5.0.38. I finally disabled Circle and noticed my issues were resolved. Seeing failure to load some sites across various apps and websites.

Hoping this will be resolved so I can go back to using Circle in the household.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member, this is currently being worked on by engineering. We will provide an update once available.

Dexter

Message 12 of 13
stevenhar
Aspirant

After many debugging sessions with L2 support and waiting for engineering to respond for weeks I just recieved a reply that they can't find the issue so recommended getting a refund for our circle subscription.

I must say this is a very disappointing response and not something I would have expected.

Just to be clear this means anyone trying to access support sites being run by zendesk, including circles own support site, with circle enabled are unlikely to be able to do so.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7