Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle connectivity interruption on RBR50

strayfrog
Tutor

Circle connectivity interruption on RBR50

Hello -- I'm running into intermittant disconnection issues with Circle. This started about a week ago. I decided to upgrade my RBR50 to the latest firmware (V2.5.1.8) to see if things would improve but the symptoms are the same. For what it's worth, the app version of Circle seems to be the same in the current and the old firmware. Whenever I re-enable Circle, functionality works for about ~1h, then all the devices lose their connectivity. My workaround for the moment is either:

1. Disable Circle and connectivity is restored for everyone in the home
  2. Force my DNS on my device to be something other than the default gw 192.168.1.1 (couldn't find a way to get netgear to always advertise a custom DNS instead of the router's). This is not a viable option for 20+ devices in the home.

I know this is not much to go on but I'd like more ideas to help me diagnose the problem. Despite having a Circle subscription, there are very little configuration knobs or logs for Circle from the POV of the router. There are a lot from the POV of the app and I wonder if I somehow used one or too many of them and hit a regression.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Circle connectivity interruption on RBR50

Hello strayfrog, 

When Circle is enabled, does it cause connectivity issues for all devices on the network? May you try reverting back to the previous Orbi firmware version to see if there are any improvements. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello Christian,

Would like to know which firmware version is compatible with Circle? So that we all could flash to the older firmware and make Circle work on our Orbi system.

Message 3 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AlexWong, 

You may view the previous firmware versions using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Christian 

Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Christian,

We know where we can get the previous firmware, but the questions is that "Do you know which firmware version compatible with Circle without the Internet disconnection issue?"

Message 5 of 12

No response from Netgear to your question? He just left you high and dry?

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is the same when we contacted the Priority Netgear Support, it used to take them 1-3 days to get back to us, now they take up to 7 days just to reply our message without a good solution.
Message 7 of 12
strayfrog
Tutor

I reverted to the old firmware but the buggy behavior continues. Namely, there is something that is being triggered on the Circle side and I can't quite put my finger on it. My only other option would be to wipe my circle configuration altogether and rebuild the profiles from scratch. I haven't had the time to do this so I just gave up and cancelled my circle subscription.

I'm not satisfied with the current lack of parental controls but there's very little I can find in the area of debug logs from the PoV of the router right now.

Message 8 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AlexWong,

All previous firmware versions for the Orbi should work with Circle. Our product teams are currently investigating reports of Circle possibly causing intermittent disconnections. We currently do not have an ETA or further details at this moment. 

Thank you for your patience,

Christian 

Message 9 of 12
herman2p
Aspirant

Christian,

I recently purchased the RBR50 and am running the latest firmware.  My first NETGEAR product in over a decade. The system worked for about 2 or 3 days, then started to disconnect from the internet a couple of times a day.  Disconnecting "circle" seems to have solved this issue, but with 3 teenage boys it has created another problem.  Unfortunately, I am going to be returning this item as soon as I identify a replacement.

Message 10 of 12
ArloCamUser
Aspirant

Re: Circle connectivity interruption on RBK50

I just recently purchased this system for just under a month. I have also encountered the same issues with internet dropping for no reason sometimes more than 3 times a day, I first eliminated the Armor Bitdefender by turning it off hoping to solve the issue but it didn’t. Then I realised it was the Disney Circle that was causing the issue. So far the routers are running well without these 2 important features turned on which is a pity. For the above average price paid for these routers, I certainly hope Netgear can resolve the issue and update us when it’s done.
Message 11 of 12
strayfrog
Tutor

Hello — can you provide any update if the circle issue has been root caused? Can we expect a fix anytime soon?

Thanks.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7