Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle filtering unmanaged device

DougB628
Apprentice

Circle filtering unmanaged device

I have been testing Circle on my Orbi, and I am finding that it is filtering unmanaged devices. I have attached a screen shot of the filter page that comes up, which clearly indicates that the device is assigned to the 'unmanaged devices' profile. Is there any known fix to this issue? I have found that if I assign the device to my profile, which has the "None" filter, it still filters as well.

Message 1 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DougB628,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter
Community Team

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same problem here. Is there a fix for this?
Message 3 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member,

Welcome to the community!

Please make sure that your router is using the latest firmware if you haven't updated it yet. What model is that by the way?

Dexter

Message 4 of 12
WeirdTechnician
Aspirant

Betreff: Circle filtering unmanaged device

I have a similar problem. When I move my TV Receiver (GigaTV Box 4K from Vodafone Germany) to unmanaged devices the box can't go online. Moving it to an adult profile fixes this.

Shouldn't unmanaged mean unfiltered?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you DexterJB

I have the latest firmware 2.3.1.48. 

The problem is:

Internet browsing history for a number of unmanged device appears in random wrong profiles. I can see that obviouse web-url from "electric car charger" is in my Kids profile. I have tried to make a "dummy" profile and add the unmanaged devices there but no luck.

Arild

Message 6 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi arildj, thanks for the update. You can try resetting the device to factory settings and check if the issue will persist. Let me know how that works.

Dexter

Message 7 of 12
inteller
Apprentice

Nope, nope nope, nope.  That doesn't work nor is it ever an acceptable answer.  The Circle implementation in Netgear routers is fundementally flawed.  With circle enabled it cannot cope with unmanaged devices that provide data streams to the internet such as various IoT devices.  Circle chokes on devices that make frequent DNS requests and just start blocking the data.  And don't ask me to be your guinea pig/beta tester netgear, this is your product, own it and figure it out.

Message 8 of 12
DougB628
Apprentice

So here's another screen shot - I'd like to emphasize some aspects of the screen shot:

1. First at the top "Looks like you've been filtered!"
  2. Second row, middle "Your Device Name, Dougs-MBP, This device has been assigned to Doug's profile. This profile is not managed."

I would argue that these two things are in direct conflict with each other. This device is assigned to an unmanaged profile, and yet, it has been filtered.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 12
snikker17
Guide

Well it’s nice to see that I’m not the only one Netgear has ignored.

i had the same issue almost 2 years ago and gave up thinking Netgear would even care.

it’s obvious they don’t. 3 months on this thread and still no answer.

**bleep** you Netgear.

Message 10 of 12
snikker17
Guide

Still no answer Netgear even though this problem still exists?

Typical.

Message 11 of 12
inteller
Apprentice

Welcome to Netgear ownership, where once they have your money they could give a **bleep**.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7