Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle iOS App Cannot Auth using PIN - SMS sends me a PIN that Won't Work

jm0nty
Tutor

Circle iOS App Cannot Auth using PIN - SMS sends me a PIN that Won't Work

I recently updated my firmware on my R8000 that supports Circle. I got the iOS application, enabled Circle, setup all the devices and had great success with it for a few days. 

I made an adjustment to some IP assignments in the advanced router settings on the NetGear because I wanted some devices to have permanant IP's. I applied the changes without issue and after the router came back online, devices got their new assigned IP's and all was well...

Except Circle - my Circle app on iOS could no longer manage and couldn't find my Circle device so I can no longer see anything in the Circle App. I rebooted the router per recomendation from help documentation and then the circle App detected my router again, but asked me for a PIN to authenticate. I entered the pin I setup on Circle and it did not work, i tried 2 other PINs that I guess it could be but no luck. It has a "Send Pin VIA SMS" so I chose that it text'ed me a PIN i've never seen before, which is strange, but I tried it anyway and it didn't work either. 

So somehow I'm locked out of my circle account. I went to the Circle web site for support and they sent me to netgear. Circle explained I could create a support issue on a device without a serial number, and then choose "Circle" and then I could get help from them. Netgear asked for my router info and since the 90 day warrenty has expired they closed my ticked without a discussion and told me I'd need to pay them $49 for support. 

There is no way I can tell to perform a password reset / PIN reset with Circle and I can find no way to get into my account any more. This is increadibly frustrating and there's no documentation online that seems to have any details on how to deal with this issue. 

Would really appreciate any help getting back into Circle on my NetGear router.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jm0nty
Tutor

I got in contact with Circle and one of their support people was kind enough to help me, even though they weren't required to.

The solution was to get another device that never had the Circle app or had logged in. I had an iPad that I had not used with the Circle App. Once I installed the Circle app on the secondary mobile device and log into my router, I found in the Circle App, under Manage -> Get Circle Passcode. and low and behold was a 4 digit PIN that had NOTHING to do with the SMS message that got me back into Circle on my other device.

I'm a bit confused as to why there are confusing and differing PINS that are needed. This should NOT require paying for support. This is a DOCUMENTATION issue.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
jm0nty
Tutor

Message 2 of 5
jm0nty
Tutor

The last link has the following instructions which I followed, 

"If you have forgotten the lock code, the only way to remove it is to uninstall the app from your device, reinstall the app, and reauthorize that app through a passcode."

I have uninstalled the app like 10 times, re-authenticed with my router using username and password and it immediately asks for a PIN after that which still does not work.

Message 3 of 5
jdloyd01
Initiate

Same issue. Just gave up and went back to openDNS. 

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
jm0nty
Tutor

I got in contact with Circle and one of their support people was kind enough to help me, even though they weren't required to.

The solution was to get another device that never had the Circle app or had logged in. I had an iPad that I had not used with the Circle App. Once I installed the Circle app on the secondary mobile device and log into my router, I found in the Circle App, under Manage -> Get Circle Passcode. and low and behold was a 4 digit PIN that had NOTHING to do with the SMS message that got me back into Circle on my other device.

I'm a bit confused as to why there are confusing and differing PINS that are needed. This should NOT require paying for support. This is a DOCUMENTATION issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7