Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle is not blocking youtube

Zablalbaz
Star

Circle is not blocking youtube

Hello,

I just enabled Circle Premium on my Orbi router and have set up profiles for all people in my home. I am trying to block access to Youtube for just a few devices that my kids use for school.

Configuration:

All school devices have been assigned by mac address to the appropriate child's profile.

Profiles for all children are assigned the "Kid" level Filter.

The "Kid" level filters have further been restricted by selecting "Not Allowed" for Youtube.

According to the Circle Guides, this should block access to the Youtube site.

Results:

Even with this configuration, my kids can still open a tab in their browsers and go to youtube and watch videos. 

Debug steps:

1) If I go to the "home" page of the circle app on my phone, and choose "devices" in the upper right corner, and select the specific device that my child is using, and click the "pause" button for that device, Internet access is shutdown for that device as expected.

This proves that I have assigned the correct device to my child's profile. So this is not an issue of incorrect device being selected for the profile.

2) The only other thing I can think of is that the device is a Chromebook that is being signed into with a child's account for the local public school system. I'm not sure if that sets up a VPN?? If it sets up a VPN, then perhaps the circle cannot actually see the traffic on the device and restrict access?

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Zablalbaz
Star

Did some more debug on this and found on my android phone that if I blocked Youtube, I could not open any web browsers to http://youtube.com. That is most definitely blocked. However, if I use the YouTube app on the same phone, I am still able to browse YouTube and watch videos. Not sure why that is. Anyway... still looking into this.

Message 2 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Zablabaz, 

Thanks for providing an update on your issue. 

Christian 

Message 3 of 6
Zablalbaz
Star

NP. Still looking into why the YouTube app is not getting blocked while the web browser is getting blocked. My kids use Chromebooks, and I wonder if this could be related? I'll definitely update this thread when I have it figured out.
Message 4 of 6
cbruce15
Aspirant

I have the same problem. My son uses school iPad. I try to use Circle and set YouTube to "Not Allowed" and also add custom filter "YouTube.com" and "m.YouTube.com" to "Not allowed". However, they don't not work and he can still watch YouTube. It is really annoying, because he always not focus on online classes or doing homework, but watching YouTube. Does anyone have solution? 

By the way, does custom filter really work? I use my phone to try out and input several websites, but I can still enter these websites after completed the setup. Not a cache issue because I delete the history and also never visit theses website before. Thx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
th3sp3ck
Guide

New to circle. I have an Orbi Router and enabled the Circle Premium. I set up my daughters Macbook to be managed and can Pause/Resume connectivity so I know its setup correctly. I can not however block youtube on Chrome - which is what I want to do during school hours. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7