Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle isn't filtering

otherbill
Initiate

Circle isn't filtering

Devices: Orbi RBR50 and RBS50

Firmware2.7.1.60

What works: assigning devices to profiles, alerts when new devices join Circle, pausing internet for specific profiles

What doesn't work: Filtering sites, History displays nothing

I have an Orbi RBR50 (and one Satellite RBS50).  About a month ago Circle stopped filtering based on our profiles.  I downgraded the firmware to the same firmware from when we purchased the devices (back in 2018), no difference.  I've auto-installed the most recent firmware, no difference (taking care to manually update through versions 2.2.1.210 and 2.2.1.212).  I even manually installed up to the most recent available (not automatic updates, but the downloadable versions), still no difference.  I've even performed a hard reset on the router/satellite and walked through setup from scratch.

The Circle iOS app recognizes new devices and allows me to assign them to profiles.  The app does allow me to pause profiles and the devices stop working (correctly).  Visiting the http://mycircle.meetcircle.com/ page does show the correct profile for the device.

However, visiting a disabled site doesn't stop anything.  I've disabled HBO for my own profile (for testing purposes), but I'm still able to get through.  The same goes for the "Kids" profile - all "banned" sites are still accessible.

Any help would be appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
otherbill
Initiate

I was able to update to 2.7.2.102 today (after the manual update to the previous version, this one came available).  Unfortunately the results are the same.

Circle can pause the internet per profile.  Circle can recognize the devices and associate them with profiles.  History and usage shows nothing (0 minutes and no filtered/historical data).  Sites are NOT being filtered.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 4
TimmH
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and it only started after the last update to 2.7.2.102

I also noticed that Netgear has added their own NetgearSPC to Parental Controls and says 'Upgrade to NetgearSPC'. You have to wonder if this has anything to do with the Circle App suddenly not working correctly.

The Netgear version is also subscription only and is more expensive than Circle. Circle is $4.99/mo while Netgear wants $7.99. I find it disappointing that I may suddenly have to pay more to keep my filtering convenient or I may just have to switch to a per computer software installation given that this in now more hastle than it's worth. SMH

Message 3 of 4
TimmH
Aspirant

I just did some quick research and decided to go the software per device route. I'm trying Kaspersky Safe Kids. So far it is doing the job and is reasonably priced at under $15/yr with up to 20 devices.   

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7