Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle limits the speed of gig router by more than half.

Goosey_Gander
Aspirant

Circle limits the speed of gig router by more than half.

I have fiber coming to my house so my internet speeds run 950Mbps download at the modem, into the router and to my computer via wifi UNTIL I enable Circle Parental controls. My speeds immediately sink to 250 Mbps! I disable parental controls and it goes right back up to 950Mbps. I turn on parental controls and it immediately falls to 2/3rds of what it was before. This is the second of these routers that I have bought because Netgear support told me the first new one was bad and it shouldn’t limit it like that. Well, the second one does the same thing. It is a software problem. Why bother putting parental controls on an expensive gig router if you can’t use it?!
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

You're not the only one in the forums that have had issues with circle reducing your speeds. Some have had luck with turning off ivp6 and rebooting the router. and more than 1 router has reports of the issue. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/R7000P-Circle-Performance-Issues/m-p...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/R7000-Disney-Circle-Internet-speeds-...

Message 2 of 8
seabass0118
Initiate

I can confirm having terrible internet speed being my orbi to the point of my fiber-to-the-house gigabit service reports full 1k speed at the modem, but ip calling app suggesting that my network is bad enough to be inadequate for normal VoIP when alone in the house... Ridiculous!!!
Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @seabass0118, are you having a similar issue wherein you experience slower Internet speed when the Circle feature is enabled? If yes, the case is currently being worked on and has been reported to the engineering team. We will provide an update as soon as it is available.

Dexter

Message 4 of 8
Darundo
Aspirant

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @seabass0118, are you having a similar issue wherein you experience slower Internet speed when the Circle feature is enabled? If yes, the case is currently being worked on and has been reported to the engineering team. We will provide an update as soon as it is available.

Dexter

Hi Dexter,

Following up on this - is there somewhere where we can track the status of this issue or can an update be provided?

Thanks

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Darundo, this is currently being worked by engineering. I am closely monitoring the progress of the case and will provide an update once available.

Dexter

Message 6 of 8
Darundo
Aspirant

Hey Goosey, do you by chance have "Access Control" enabled? I disabled that with Circle enabled and being on the latest firmware seems to have done the trick for me.

Message 7 of 8
Goosey_Gander
Aspirant

I do not have access control enabled. I have consistenly 1G coming into the Nighthawk, but crazy numbers coming out the other side via ethernet or wifi. Netgear support is working on it. They are in contact with me often requesting screen shots of various speedtests. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7