Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Circle on Netgear slows down your speed

RG-
Follower
Follower

Circle on Netgear slows down your speed

After doing some testing I found out that when you enable circle(1st Gen Free App) on your R7900, I slows down speeds 50% and some cases could be 90%. When I had Circle enabled on my GB connection, I was never able to cross 90-100Mbps in speedtest.

The moment I did disable I did start getting 300-400Mbps. This is just for community to know. 

I have another thread where I am trying to figure out the speed drops that are happenning on my R7900.

Thank you,

RG

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RG,

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Bigfoot87
Aspirant

I have see similar issues on RBR50 device. I updated from firmware 2.5.1.16 to 2.7.0.70. After doing so I was prompted to try parental controls in the orbi app. After enabling parental controls, there seemed to be massive speed issues and connectivity issues. There is no option to disable the parental controls in the orbi app. The only way I was able to disable was to reset settings. Now the orbi app is constantly prompting me to re-enable a feature and there is no way to dismiss the prompt unless I force close the app. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Kana108
Initiate

I believe this is true also.  I have a new R6700v3 router and after 2.5 days, the speed slows down to less than 100 Mbps.  I have to fully reset the router using the reset button not knowing what causes this.  I contacted Netgear support trying so many things without luck for days and weeks.  So I reset everything and kept factory settings without Circle and the speeds seem to be what I subscribed for Fios so far.

Instead of Circle, I am using OpenDNS which is also free to use.  Just update the DNS server addresses in the router settings, and that should be it.  One can customize what to restrict within their control panel.

I wish I knew it was Circle that was causing this and wasting so many of my hours....not to mention runing the image of Netgear.

Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7