Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle or other parental control

Tibetan70
Tutor

Circle or other parental control

Hi! I bought a non-cheap router! The R9000 X10! Netgear recently claimed to be the fastest router. Well, that's right. But! A very important feature is missing: parental control. My previous (cheap) Netgear router supported the Cicrle app, but the R9000 did not. I have a subscription to the Circle for a whole year! If I can't use it, who did I throw the money out the window? Was the Circle a waste of money and the R9000 too? How can I use Parental Control? I want to determine when my children can access the internet. Is this such a request? Please help solve this problem!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Circle or other parental control

Message 2 of 6
Tibetan70
Tutor

Thank you so much for this answer, it was terribly helpful! So I have an immeasurably expensive router that I can throw away in the trash. Thanks! Is there anything you can know about how Netgear plans to handle parental controls after April 2021? Because there is no information about that.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has started this new forum and seems to be implementing there newer Smart Parental Controls on some of there router products:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/bd-p/en-home-smart-parental-controls

Something to check into. Thought not sure if the R9000 series will be supported. We don't get that kind of future planning information here in the forums. 

I would not throw the R9000 router in the trash, it still has good use. Though you may find someone to buy it. Or maybe see if 3rd party FW has any solutions that may help you out. Like DD-WRT or Voxel. OpenDNS maybe something to look into as well. 

Message 4 of 6
svetaketu
Luminary

Hi @Tibetan70,

It seems that the R9000 is also not listed in the compatibility list for the standalone Circle hardware:

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022419752-Router-Compatibility-and-Circle-Home-P... 

Adding Circle or SPC on the R9000 is probably slim since it has been out for several years now and most probably its already approaching end of life.

Probably better if you exchange your R9000 for a newer model and base your decision on the article provided by @FURRYe38

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a plan. Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements