Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Circle will not work with Nighthawk R7000P

doug0312
Guide

Circle will not work with Nighthawk R7000P

I just purchased a Nighthawk R7000P router specifically to use the Circle features to manage kids devices.  does this even work?  it seems like it's DOA out of the box. The Circle will not configure.  Have tried:

1. Restoring Router to Factory (twice)

2. Uninstalling/reinstalling Nighthawk app on iOS

3. Uninstalling/reinstalling Circle 1 app on iOS

I have Enabled Parental Controls, and then Circle via a browser to the router's config page.

on iOS, this is what's happening:

a. connect iOS Wifi to the router's SSID

b. Launch Nighthawk app

c. Click on "Parental Controls" widget.  This brings me to a 'Circle 1st gen' page with a Get Started Button, and a second button to "Set up Circle on supported NETGEAR routers".  I click the second button.

d. This brings me to "Circle on Netgear / Circle on your router!".  I click NEXT

e. This displays error page "Darn, couldn't find Circle on your router"

I've looped on this over a dozen times.  Reboot router.  Reset router to factory.   Same result.

Here's my setup:

1. Cable modem is Comcast Xfinity (with 2 LAN ports) configured as 10.0.0.1 and with only one connected device, which is the Nighthawk R7000P, to which it has assigned an IP address of 10.0.0.221.

2. Nighthawk is brand new (arrived last week) with Firmware Version V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 installed.  The device says there is no more recent Firmware available.

3. Nighthawk is configured for its network with its own Router IP address of 10.0.0.1 and assigning DHCP addresses starting at .2

4. I have 2 devices connected to the Nighthawk.  An iMac Pro running Big Sur and connected via Ethernet direct to the Nighthawk.  And an iPhone running iOS 14.4 connected to the Nighthawk's SSID.

Appreciate any help!  Thanks.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Circle will not work with Nighthawk R7000P

what actual comcast modem is it? 

If its on the 10.0.0.1 and your only manually setting the netgear to the next ip address, but both still have dhcp running, you're in a double nat. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

did you disable the router on the comcast device? (hint, shutting off wifi doesn't disable its routing functions)

Message 2 of 6
doug0312
Guide

thanks 

• the Comcast model is an X B6-T.  It's their default gigabit modem/router at least here in the SF bay area.

I will work on flipping the Comcast router to Bridge mode this evening and see if that gets it running!

Message 3 of 6
doug0312
Guide

Okay, I enabled bridge mode on Comcast modem, which disabled its integrated Router

And, i restored the default IP on the Nighthawk to 10.0.0.1 thereby I believe eradicating the "rat's nest"

now the setup is:

Internet > Comcast modem (no router) > Nighthawk as router and DHCP server > iMac (ethernet0

and I've also connected my iPhone running iOS 14.4

Result: exactly the same outcome.  Parental controls pops up a circle page on my iPhone that says "Darn, couldn't find Circle on your router"

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 5 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi doug0312, 

I'd like to follow up and ask if you were able to resolve your issue or get in contact with our support team for assistance with setting up Circle on your R7000. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7