Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Data drops with Circle enabled on Orbi

inteller
Apprentice

Data drops with Circle enabled on Orbi

When I enabled Circle and moved certain constant data devices as "unmanaged" these devices continue to drop data. Unmanged devices should have no filtering or restrictions through Circle.   One important one is a power usage monitoring devices that uploads data to a web service for aggregation. This is dropping out at random times. If Circle is turned off it works fine. This is the one device I can actually see the data dropouts, but I suspect I have other devices dropping data and it isn't as apparent.

Like most Netgear product offerings this seems to be another one of those "good intentions, poor execution" situations where the user is subjected to be a beta tester until firmware either fixes it, or Netgear desides to stop issuing firmware updates because the product is over a year old and it just stays broken.

You need to look into this, and you need to fix it. I will be putting Netgear and Disney (Circle) on blast otherwise.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I've been complaining about that since the current version (and the beta before that) was released.  I do not have this problem on previous versions (If I revert, it works fine) -  it's something new as the last major release. 

It seems to be an issue with how DNS is redirected, and name resolution 'pauses' (and then times out) when it's enabled.

When I reported this before the response was to ask me "what websites are you having problems with" - which, missed the point completely.  It's not about specific websites.  It's a foundational problem.

Message 2 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

So it used to work and they broke it? FML.
Message 3 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Yes. 

Or, things changed in a (orbi) new version and they didn't update the embedded Circle (it has remained at the same version) and this broke it.

But, yes.  And I reported it in the beta and they proceeded anyway with a forced rollout production version and did not fix it.  And I hI have no idea if it will be fixed in the next version. 

@inteller wrote:
So it used to work and they broke it? FML.

Message 4 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

None of this surprises me....garbage.
Message 5 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

another month goes by, this junk still isn't fixed.

Message 6 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@inteller , @Jeremyinsf , it will be interesting to see if the new beta software fixes the Circle-related issues.

I'm now testing a beta software and it looks to fix many of the issues related to stability, wired devices, access control and much more. Good feedback on the software so far. Did not see any feedback regarding Circle for this software. Please PM to ChristineT to get the links to download the software and test it.

Message 7 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

This is a good example of why getting the release notes for the beta version would have been useful.  It would have told us if this version attempted to resolve circle issues as well.

Message 8 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

yeaah.....I refuse to be a beta tester.  I paid for the hardware and expected NETGEAR to have already tested it.  If their software development practices are so bad, that they ship a working product then later break it then perhaps they should consider another line of business.

Message 9 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I am a bit behind with posting updates on my testing, but, I can confirm that the issue seems 'better' on the new beta but I still encounter it from time to time.  While on the beta my router started rebooting regularly/randomly so I reverted away from it for now.

Overall, it does seem like a better build as many items are corrected.  I put up a long post about that in another thread.  I don't think Armor provides enough value to actually charge for it though.  Also it's still buggy so the one thing that was identified as a concern on my network - it had zero information on.

Message 10 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Also yes, agreed, there were no release notes even when we were told that we would get them, and it seems that there is little engagement with reported issues.  

Message 11 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

oh they want to engage, they slither into my DMs and want me to beta test junk.  I will not be a beta tester on something that should already work!

Message 12 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

so no improvement with new firmware 2.30.0.28.  You enable Circle and within 15 minutes or so my IOT device starts to drop communication and eventually knocks offline.

Back to the drawing board boys and girls....

Message 13 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

AAAAAAND.....still not fixed with 2.3.1.48...

Message 14 of 23
Zacks
Aspirant

I. Also experiencing this issue. I have firmware 23148.  I turned off circle and still have the issue.  Do I also need to reboot or go through a new setup to completely disable?

Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 16 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

@Zacks wrote:

I. Also experiencing this issue. I have firmware 23148.  I turned off circle and still have the issue.  Do I also need to reboot or go through a new setup to completely disable?

no, no amount of rebooting or setting back up will fix this problem.
Message 17 of 23
The_Curly
Aspirant

I have the same issue when Circle is enabled.Without Circle, no dropping of the wifi anymore. Although it works as a temperary workaround, this is not a fix!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

It isnt dropping wifi, it is dropping requests that unmanaged devices are trying to make.

And STOP messaging me netgear! I WILL NOT be your product tester/fixer! I PAY you to figure these things out! Fix this junk!
Message 19 of 23
The_Curly
Aspirant

It is happening for both managed and unmanaged devices for me, not sure what it is doing but no device can access the internet anymore when the issue occurs. It does restore after some minutes.

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Users need to post about this in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you. 

Message 21 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Latest firmware, V2.3.5.30, still an issue.

Message 22 of 23
inteller
Apprentice

That firmware is so bad with everything else I didn't even have a chance to test if they fixed Circle.  I rolled back cause that firmware is complete garbage.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7