Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disney Circle strange behavior

PSUHammer
Luminary

Disney Circle strange behavior

I have Disney Circle setup on my Orbi system (Orbi has latest firmware).  I have profiles setup, devices sorted for family members and all is well.

I noticed some strange behavior for the two devices assigned to my son.  One is an Xbox One and the other a Roku Premier+.  The issue is that even when he is NOT using the devices in question, Circle is tracking activity in the "Uncatagorized" catagory and appears to be Google DNS IPs (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  The Xbox is wireless and I have DNS configured automatically to get from the Orbi.  But on the Orbi I have DNS set to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1).

I have no idea what this activity is and it is blowing up his 2 hour time limit while he is at school.  I have to "gift" him more time when he gets home even though he wasn't using the devices.  Is there a way to tell which device this traffic is coming from and does anyone else have issues with how Circle is handling Xbox One traffic?

Attached is as screenshot of the data filter screen from the Circle app.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Disney Circle strange behavior

Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

For good xbox gaming performances, I would not recommend letting Circle handle or manage any xbox consoles. Could impact gaming operation and performances.

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that the Circle forum is more likely to produce useful results, as most of us in this forum do not use Circle.

I have one suggestion:  When leaving for school power off the XBox and unplug the Roku.

If Circle reports they are accessing Google during the day, "Who you gonna believe?"

Message 3 of 5
Babyeedoll
Aspirant

This is happening in our Roku for one of our girls in the middle of the night and I set off time to not allow usage it still shows 8.8.4.4 & uncategorized usage 8.8.8.8 for 4hrs and 45min so I have to reward time. Not sure how to stop this??
Message 4 of 5
PSUHammer
Luminary

@Babyeedoll wrote:
This is happening in our Roku for one of our girls in the middle of the night and I set off time to not allow usage it still shows 8.8.4.4 & uncategorized usage 8.8.8.8 for 4hrs and 45min so I have to reward time. Not sure how to stop this??

It is indeed the Roku.  For some reason it is calling back to Google DNS regularly, not sure why.  I had Circle ignore these two addresses in terms of counting towards the device time.  Seems to have resolved the issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7