Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disney Circle use with Apple TV

flkin
Aspirant

Disney Circle use with Apple TV

Hello all,

I subribed to the Disney Circle function offered in my Orbi RBK40/AC2200 wifi system and pay the montly fees. Netgear doesnt seem to offer support by email despite the monthly subscription and suggested to post here for help.

I am using an Apple TV at home and want to limit the amount of streaming (netflix, youtube etc) that my kids watch per day. I set it at 2.5 hours. Unfortunately, the Apple TV seems to consume internet time by itself. In the Circle app under Usage under Uncategorized shows a consumption of 2hr10m. In the detail it doesnt show a list totaling to this figure but less. One of the largest at 1hr is an IP address of 17.57.145.70 which seems to belong to Apple.

My question is:

1. how to I set up the Circle filters to allow the Apple TV device to show internet streaming for 2.5 hours and ignore all the rest of the background data consumption? 2. Why does Circle/Usage give me totals that dont add up in the detail? And how do I ignore all Apple TV sync data communications with Apple?

Thanks in advance

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, dear.  The community forum has people with a lot of expertise.  This particular forum seems mostly concerned with the "device itself."  There is an entire forum devoted to Disney Circle.  Community members who frequent that forum may be more likely to provide solutions.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

Message 2 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Message 3 of 8
flkin
Aspirant

Thanks for the links to the help - all of which I have already read.

It seems that all Apple TVs access in the background some Apple server for updates. So why cant Circle simple ignore those background updates for the usual Apple IP server addressess? The custom filters dont allow wildcard settings so this isnt possible for users to do themselves. 

I will resort to using OffTime to block the Apple TV access to internet and hopefully reduce the recorded usage - not a solution but might just reduce the error

Message 4 of 8
flkin
Aspirant

For today, the Apple TV access time has reached 10 hours 45m and it's only 11am! I havent even switched on the TV and it's still in sleep mode without any app running and in the front Menu screen where all the apps show.

Looking under usage, all the activity is under Uncatagorised and that shows 5 IP addressess all starting with 17.188.x.x

But under History, the latest visited site was last night just before midnight. So how is it that there is a total time count for today if nothing was visited so far today?

Apart from disconnecting power to the Apple TV, how can I control the data access time for this device? Do wild card filters work like 17.188.*.*?

Thanks for any assistance

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @flkin, you've mentioned using OffTime. You can also use BedTime in conjunction to it as suggested by Circle.

Dexter

Message 6 of 8
flkin
Aspirant

Hi Dexter

Thanks for the suggestion but surely Bedtime is just another time limit no?

Today my usage is 9 hours and it's only 10.52am. Under History/Visited, it shows nothing visited since last night at 11.52pm - even though we didnt switch on the Apple TV last night too. Please see the attached screenshots.

Surely there's something wrong with Circle - it's not capturing internet access by the AppleTV but recording it as usage anyway.

Message 7 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @flkin, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7