Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duplicate (and more) of same device

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Duplicate (and more) of same device

Circle Home Plus 2nd Gen

I have a few devices that keep adding entries to the device list. Particularlly my iPhone XR, it now has 5 entries. I keep assigning them to the same Profile... but I keep getting more. Why is that?

It looks like the Device ID keeps changed according the Circle App. A Roku Premier player duplicated and another iPhone, but the XR seems to be particularlly bad? Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Duplicate (and more) of same device

The Device ID is based on the MAC address of the device. The MAC address can change when using elderly wireless extenders (they do MAC address translation), since iOS 14 Apple decided to force enable this nonsense for all known and new networks without informing the users, Android 10 does only use random MAC on new connected networks.

Disable this rubbish on your mobile devices for connecting to your home/business networks - there is nothing to hide there. 

@Christian_R I would like to see Netgear introducing isolating mobile devices using these addresses to showing a Web page that this network requires plain native hardware MAC, and not grant network access for security reasons. 8-)

FMI: https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037239852-Android-10-and-iOS-14-devices-discover... (it's in fact since Android 8 but most vendors had not activated random MACs before) 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello bphein1980,

May you provide a screenshot of what you're experiencing for us to better assist. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Sure! In this pic, this is the same iPhone XR. There are 2 other devices that are similar to this, but so far has only duplicated twice. In each one of these records, the Device ID listed is different. It looks like the Device ID is the "WiFi Address" in the iOS settings of the iPhone? 

86394.jpg

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The Device ID is based on the MAC address of the device. The MAC address can change when using elderly wireless extenders (they do MAC address translation), since iOS 14 Apple decided to force enable this nonsense for all known and new networks without informing the users, Android 10 does only use random MAC on new connected networks.

Disable this rubbish on your mobile devices for connecting to your home/business networks - there is nothing to hide there. 

@Christian_R I would like to see Netgear introducing isolating mobile devices using these addresses to showing a Web page that this network requires plain native hardware MAC, and not grant network access for security reasons. 8-)

FMI: https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037239852-Android-10-and-iOS-14-devices-discover... (it's in fact since Android 8 but most vendors had not activated random MACs before) 

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you for that info 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements