Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error restoring Circle profiles

Rporice54
Aspirant

Error restoring Circle profiles

I am setting up my new R8000 router and trying to get Circle setup. Their website says to backup the profiles on your old device (which I did) and then restore them on the Netgear router- except I get an error every time I try to restore the profiles. I have to go through the entire setup process with circle before I Can even get to the place where I Can restore, so it’s a pain trying over and over again. I think I’ve created 5+ Circle accounts tonight.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Error restoring Circle profiles

Hi @Rporice54,

Welcome to the community!

1. Are you following the steps described on this link?

2. What is the error message that you are getting? Please provide screenshot if possible.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Rporice54
Aspirant

Re: Error restoring Circle profiles

I also reached out to Circle support- and despite their website very specifically saying you can back up a Circle and restore it to a NETGEAR router- you actually can’t do it. Apparently the hardware is different enough that the profiles aren’t compatible. They couldn’t explain why their support documents say it is possible. Circle also said all my support had to come from NETGEAR. I emailed them the same time I posted here and I’ve yet to hear back from NETGEAR. I’m guessing Circle support is near the bottom of their priority list.

So I spent a lot of time manually setting up all the profiles and filters and exclusions and websites.... the worst part was identifying all the connected products in the house. The router just named them all “Unknown” with “Unknown Manufacturer”. I had to connect the old circle and take screenshots of all our devices and then manually match up the MAC addresses. Not fun.

I will say the Circle interface runs much faster on the NETGEAR router- I guess from a better CPU?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7