Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kids turning modem on and off to bypass schedule

Bridge95
Aspirant

Kids turning modem on and off to bypass schedule

My kids keep turning the modem off and back on to access the internet. Somehow they bypass the schedule for maybe ten minutes before they are blocked again and they repeat the process. Any tips on how to stop this without permanently blocking their devices/ip?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Kids turning modem on and off to bypass schedule

Those few minutes are probably just the rest of the programs loading. Everytime they unplug it to get a few minutes, shut off their access totally for 24 hours. They'll learn quickly that trying to get a few minutes isn't worth lossing a day/days/week. Or move it somewhere they can't access the modem/router to restart it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you use access control you can turn on/off access to specific devices. works pretty well when they start getting sneaky. The manual walks you through access control 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx

Message 2 of 4
Bridge95
Aspirant

I’m hoping for something where I don’t have to monitor it every day and night. So for access control I’d have to unblock and block them when I don’t want to give them access. The schedule works very well but I don’t know how they’re accessing the internet for that few minutes after it reboots before it kicks in and blocks them.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Those few minutes are probably just the rest of the programs loading. Everytime they unplug it to get a few minutes, shut off their access totally for 24 hours. They'll learn quickly that trying to get a few minutes isn't worth lossing a day/days/week. Or move it somewhere they can't access the modem/router to restart it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7